Sharing MFK pictures on other sites.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
When you are researching a fish you are often taken to a library of pictures with said fish on which you can scroll through at leisure. Dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of various pictures. Sometimes they'll have a short caption of the name of the fish and the site where it was taken from. These various pics are probably from people's tanks all over the world.

What I was wondering is how do these sites source the pics in the first place? Do MFK for example have some sort of clause stating that different websites can use pics from our site, or do they need permission from us?

It isn't the first time I've seen my pictures either. If you then click on the pictures you are often taken to an actual thread which was started on our site! I don't mind one little bit, I was just wondering how it all works. I'd have thought there would be some form of copyright legislation in place, unless of course MFK waver all that. kno4te kno4te . Any ideas Ron?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have wondered the same. I too have seen some of my own threads, in both MFK and Americanfish.de when doing a Search of a certain fish that I keep and have posted about. If one clicks the <Visit> thing, it goes straight to the thread, as if you had started at that fish forum.
I guess by having the metadata (site link, thread, page where photo appeared), they are giving credit to the fish forum. Credit to the person who took the picture or started the thread is not explicit, but I guess is implied. It certainly does no seem that anybody is appropriating the images without acknowledging the source (forum). I am not knowledgeable of 'rules and regulations'.

Reactions: esoxlucius

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Good look up Amphilophus Saggitae on Google. Last time I did six of the first ten pictures were of Casper.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I'm not sure how I feel about this, as here in australia, Gunther Schmida's photos (Which he sold) were used by shops and places just by taking them off the internet.
Using a dead guys photos which he used to sell is kinda low.

• Sad
Reactions: tlindsey and deeda

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm not sure how I feel about this, as here in australia, Gunther Schmida's photos (Which he sold) were used by shops and places just by taking them off the internet.
Using a dead guys photos which he used to sell is kinda low.
Yes, it seems wrong, but can be perfectly above board if permission has been given by the relevant people. In Gunther's case, who knows. But one thing's for certain, if anyone tries to benefit or profiteer on the back of someone else's work, without permission, then copyright comes into play.

The more I dig into this the more I see references to MFK. Photos, videos and references to actual threads. Without input from the admin to clarify our position on this I suppose we should just take it for granted that everything's above board and that all these clippets of info from our site are being used lawfully.

Who knows. At the end of the day it doesn't bother me but it's a little worm hole I've gone down and it would be nice to find out how it all works, especially when you see your own pictures of your own tanks and fish, which you've added to the MFK site, plastered all over other sites too!!

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Who knows. At the end of the day it doesn't bother me but it's a little worm hole I've gone down and it would be nice to find out how it all works, especially when you see your own pictures of your own tanks and fish, which you've added to the MFK site, plastered all over other sites too!!
I saw some pics of my Black eel tailed catfish on some cichlid website down here, and I did a double take!
Normally they're Dave Wilson at Aquagreen, but there it was, same pic as my profile!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store