Should I be worried? Prazipro

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I bought a ray a few months ago from a vendor. it was doing somewhat well. I had it with my other rays. All of them were eating. But i noticed severe weightloss, and a divet in its nose between the eyes. I had dosed for prazipro before but forgotten I had I had some carbon under all my ceramic media sitting in my sump. this was weeks ago after the nitrofuran nuking. I removed the carbon and did a large water change. I have made threads before about my ray being extremely skinny and was wondering what foods were good for weight gain. I see my ray eating, but its weight loss is dramatic since the nitrofuran. So this morning after the water change I dosed for Prazipro because I had seen someone else with similar conditions and saw improvement. But now 3 of my rays have those divits on their nose and they are no longer eating as strongly as they were before today. they each ate around 2 earthworms. and left the rest of them alone. and they are 10-12 inches and a 20 inch. Should I be worried?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I'd say you should obviously be worried. If they are all suffering that much it's slightly less likely to be IP. If they are just not eating it could be water condition, temperature, ph, or any number of issues and the first ray was more sensitive to it. I'd list a full range of tests to help others assist you more accurately.

Reactions: Jesseliu13

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
This happened after I had Dosed the prazipro. should i just do a water change and just clear it out of the system?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
You're saying in the span of 24 hours the 2 healthy rays began displaying divets in their head, after dosing prazi?

Reactions: Jesseliu13

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Just did another test.
.25 Ammonia possibly from large water change or seachem safe.
0 Nitrite
5-10ish Nitrate.
PH may be a dead kit. did it twice keeps saying 6. My water is normally around a 7.2ish. There is no driftwood. says expires 2020
Temperature is at 80.3 I just brought down all Heaters down to a 77.

Stock -
29 Inch black arowana
3 Rays - 22", 10", 12" All marbled motoros.

I do plan on either building a plywood tank or getting a 600 gallon stock tank in about a year.

300 Gallon tank
55 gallon sump
My exact Procedure since 5:30 This morning. In order
Water change about 80%
Changed filter floss
1 Tablespoon of Seachem Safe
Filled tank
Dosed 2 scoops of API Pondzyme Bacteria w/ barley
Dosed PraziPro (about) 3 fluid OZs
Dosed API Pond Stress Coat (1/4 cup)

went to gym. Came back to see my worms came in. Rinsed and cleaned worms.
Threw worms in. Noticed filterfloss was a bit discolored when i came back. Think its from the prazipro and stresscoat and pondzyme

Filtration -
55 gallon sump - (added in December I believe)
15 gallons (3x5 gallon buckets) worth Of bioballs.
4 Liters of Seachem Pond Matrix (added about 1-2 months ago)
4 Liters of Ammochips (replaced 2 weeks ago)
2 Liters of Ebay Ceramic media
3 Heaters
Filter Floss as mechanical filtration.
Ecoplus 2250 GPH pump return at about 4 feet. so maybe 1800 flow?

Canisters -
FX6 (always been on tank)
Eheim 2217 (always been on tank)

Running a Tetra 300 with an air wand.

Yesterday and day before they ate fine. and i did a water change 2 days ago as i normally do water changes saturday. Tank has been running for almost 3 Years now?

I havent had a problem with this tank until I had dosed nitrofuran. I called API friday asking if it would harm BB. They said it shouldnt (calling complete BS). Nitrofuran is a Gram Negative antibiotic... Nitrosonoma Is a Gram Negative Bacteria.

Should i just do another water change to rid the prazipro?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I forgotten Tank footprint - 8x29x25. A little tight but should still be fine for another year until i get the bigger tank. Very excited btw.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
It may be a fluke but if your ph is bottoming out lower than 6 you can have a problem. I'd consider using another test if conditions permit because it could be the reason you have an ammonia reading. I'm guessing you don't have ammonia in tap because that would of been a longer reaching consequence. The divets sound very unnatural in the time span the rays have been afflicted, but I'm not sure I have a complete grasp on the scenario. Any chance the aro is harassing them heavily? These things can happen with stress afaik.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
For my tap to reach lower than 6... this is a first time i had ever heard of this. i didnt really know it could go lower than 6 in tap water especially with no additives. my black arowana is avery docile one. not once since ive had it at 3 inches had it jumped. its a very peaceful one. Its really the only reason why im keeping it lol. I sold my jardinis, Leis, and Silvers casue of agression issues in other tanks. but those were years back. I am not sure what is going on... I smelled the water. It smelled fine (except it smelt like stingray water). I am baffled and worried for my rays.. I have been trying to feed tilapia to them for the past month because its a cheap source. they never liked it. But for them not to eat earthworms agressively and the amount they ate at their size scares me quite a bit. I am going to clean out my fx6 to see if that could be a cause of ammonia. i havent cleaned that in months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store