SHow Your Alligator Snapping TUrtle tank

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
SHow pics of you Alligator snapping turtle tank setup. Id like to see how you guys/girls have you ast tank setup to get an idea for a future set up. Please

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Well, I don't have a pic right now, and it's not an alligator snapper, but at the fish hatchery I worked at, we had two big snappers. They are in a 700 gallon round, flat bottomed tank with an island in the middle so they can get out of the water (not that they really ever do). Filtration is a 55 gallon drum custom built system with a huge pond pump to power it.

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
lol man sorry to say this but i don't think that snapping turtles are that common mainly because of the fact that they are illegal in most places :p

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Even if they aren't illegal, they get HUGE and need a bigger setup/more food than a lot of people want to or can provide. At the hatchery, they have a basically endless supply of fish that die for whatever reason and the snappers aren't picky

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
These guys are starting to become popular in Asia:nilly:

huy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
viet nam
ok this is my aligator snapper ,his name is FAT BOY because i feed him every day.gold fish.and some meat .ok here is the pic

Reactions: bjarke

Cmb Mani

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2007
Sri Lanka
U seriously keeping Oscars in the same tank?? in the last pic is he snapping at a oscar?? damn shame if he is

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Cmb Mani;2147189; said:
U seriously keeping Oscars in the same tank?? in the last pic is he snapping at a oscar?? damn shame if he is
Why a litle fish food if healty hasnt ever hurt anybody:D Thats one owesame litle monster you got there. What your adult enclosure plans for him?:)

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Oh, just notice, you dont need to feed him every day past the really small hachling state. In fact if you do that your turtle will grow faster than normal and will become fat (as he already is) wich can have serious metabolic problems later including heart ,liver and kidney problems all of wich are very dificult to treat in turtles and will shorten your turtle´s life. So at most for now give him food every other day(every 2 days would be better). Also you are overusing on to fat, low calcium foods. Cut with the gold fish they are to fat, they can transmit hillness to your turtle and they have tyaminase wich binds with the B vitamins complex and prevents them from being absorved by your turt body. Low fat meat (turkey ,chicken,etc) can be used but ocasionaly (no more than one or 2 times a week). Insted give your turtle stuff like turtle pellets, predatory fish pellets (see also if you can find vegetable based pellets) , fish fillets or wolle small food fish like trout, smellt, minows,etc, feeder fish (dont use cyprinids like rosy reds or gold fish, insted use small tilapia, gupys,convicts,etc all healty and gut loaded), large insects like roaches, crayfish, shrimp,etc. They can also acept vegetable mater wich is very important. You can put in daily a peace of a leafy green and your turt will eat at will:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store