SHow Your Alligator Snapping TUrtle tank

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
Actually change it a bit, he is much happier now with the changes and more active. Basically what I did is add more water, so the tank is a little under half full now and that gives the Turts more swimming room and aids with the Filtration with the Rena XP3. I added a place on the left side that is heavily planted and placed the log next too it, so he has a place that has a lot of hiding spots and he can easily hunt by hanging upside down from the plants. He also has more options to reach the surface and he can easily get to the Filters Spray Bar which he loves hanging off of. For some added fun, I place in about 20 Ghost shrimp he can chase, and they help to keep the water clear by eating waste. Here is pics:

weirdtop360

Feeder Fish
Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I have a common snapping turtle. He was rescued after a hawk dropped him out of the air into the yard. His shell was only about 2" across at that point. Now its probably 4+. I'd post pics of his tank, but he (petrie)likes to destroy it. Lol...I just fixed his rockwork the other day, and he's already demolished most of it. He's a butthead, but actually pretty tame. He seems to really enjoy having his head rubbed when he pokes it out of the water. No issues being handled or anything.

It's a native Ohio stream tank. Natural creek rock, sand/pebble substrate, tons of topminnow, crawdad, and other such things.

Once I fix it, again, I'll post a couple photos. I have a huge tank planned out for him once he outgrows the 30 breeder he's in. (okay...I said he this whole time but I honestly don't have a clue.)

methos75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Satsuma, LA.
I have a common snapping turtle. He was rescued after a hawk dropped him out of the air into the yard. His shell was only about 2" across at that point. Now its probably 4+. I'd post pics of his tank, but he (petrie)likes to destroy it. Lol...I just fixed his rockwork the other day, and he's already demolished most of it. He's a butthead, but actually pretty tame. He seems to really enjoy having his head rubbed when he pokes it out of the water. No issues being handled or anything.

It's a native Ohio stream tank. Natural creek rock, sand/pebble substrate, tons of topminnow, crawdad, and other such things.

Once I fix it, again, I'll post a couple photos. I have a huge tank planned out for him once he outgrows the 30 breeder he's in. (okay...I said he this whole time but I honestly don't have a clue.)
My AST is nice, but my CST that I raised from an hatching bought last summer is a douche LOL. Constantly begs, but as soon as you lift the screen off his tank he comes at you like great white LOL

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
What size tank would one of these need as an adult for a minimum enclosure I'm assuming 6x4x3 Would work which measures out to just over 500 gallons for a minimum indoor tank any ideas or would this even be big enough I read they max out at just over 2 ft!!! If I was gonna build one I'd make it like the one I saw one at the San Antonio zoos aquarium it was probably about 6x6x3 tall the turtle it's self was probably close to 3ft long or atleast looked every bit of it and he was really cool they were even keeping him with native fish and he wasn't bothering the Texas cichlid in the tank or any of the other fish for that matter. I'm dying to get one as I have a pond available to me where I could put this guy when grown which would be some time from now anyways and I'd like to grow him out in a large aquarium to start him off right maybe something 100+gallons in size plus the pond is at my parents and their weird about all the animals so I know he'd be safe and taken care of they would definitely feed him for me and check on him periodically anyways reason I found this post is because I know this guy who bought one online and he can't keep it now he offered to sell it to me for 120 but idk I feel like it might be illegal plus I saw legit dealers online that send you a recipt and stuff for that price. Any ideas??

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
What size tank would one of these need as an adult for a minimum enclosure I'm assuming 6x4x3 Would work which measures out to just over 500 gallons for a minimum indoor tank any ideas or would this even be big enough I read they max out at just over 2 ft!!! If I was gonna build one I'd make it like the one I saw one at the San Antonio zoos aquarium it was probably about 6x6x3 tall the turtle it's self was probably close to 3ft long or atleast looked every bit of it and he was really cool they were even keeping him with native fish and he wasn't bothering the Texas cichlid in the tank or any of the other fish for that matter. I'm dying to get one as I have a pond available to me where I could put this guy when grown which would be some time from now anyways and I'd like to grow him out in a large aquarium to start him off right maybe something 100+gallons in size plus the pond is at my parents and their weird about all the animals so I know he'd be safe and taken care of they would definitely feed him for me and check on him periodically anyways reason I found this post is because I know this guy who bought one online and he can't keep it now he offered to sell it to me for 120 but idk I feel like it might be illegal plus I saw legit dealers online that send you a recipt and stuff for that price. Any ideas??
If you've got a pond, that would be ideal for an adult enclosure. But to be honest, depending on how big it is when you get it, a big aquarium like that isn't really necessary. Alligator snappers, unlike common snappers, grow pretty slow. If you get a 4-incher a 40 or 55 gallon will be just fine for a while.
I really don't know exactly what the laws are... I know AST's and CST's are both kept quite commonly here in Michigan where I am, I assume because AST's are not native and CST's, well, they're everywhere (we have loads of them). You are allowed to hunt CST's in Michigan year round and can keep as many as you want, but I believe it's illegal to keep them as pets. Regardless, people still do it.
Somebody else could probably answer our question better than me. Anyone?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
If you've got a pond, that would be ideal for an adult enclosure. But to be honest, depending on how big it is when you get it, a big aquarium like that isn't really necessary. Alligator snappers, unlike common snappers, grow pretty slow. If you get a 4-incher a 40 or 55 gallon will be just fine for a while.
I really don't know exactly what the laws are... I know AST's and CST's are both kept quite commonly here in Michigan where I am, I assume because AST's are not native and CST's, well, they're everywhere (we have loads of them). You are allowed to hunt CST's in Michigan year round and can keep as many as you want, but I believe it's illegal to keep them as pets. Regardless, people still do it.
Somebody else could probably answer our question better than me. Anyone?
Awsome so what size do you recommend?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store