SHow Your Alligator Snapping TUrtle tank

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Awsome so what size do you recommend?
For pond, bigger is better with snappers. However, AST's don't tend to roam as much as you'd expect them to, so keep that in mind.
Once the turtle starts to get too big for say, a 125 gallon aquarium, I'd say you should upgrade to your idea of the 500 gallon pond. From there you'll have to see how much bigger he/she gets, from my understanding there's a wide range of sizes they max out at, and just when you think they can't get any bigger, they find a bigger one.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
For pond, bigger is better with snappers. However, AST's don't tend to roam as much as you'd expect them to, so keep that in mind.
Once the turtle starts to get too big for say, a 125 gallon aquarium, I'd say you should upgrade to your idea of the 500 gallon pond. From there you'll have to see how much bigger he/she gets, from my understanding there's a wide range of sizes they max out at, and just when you think they can't get any bigger, they find a bigger one.
Wow a 125 for a grown alligator snapper?? Are you sure it wouldn't even be able to turn these guys get up to 30 inches in shell alone or that's what Wikipedia said. Anyways I'm ordering mine from a reputable guy tomorrow how fast can I expect my turtle to grow and how big do they usually get in the aquarium would power feeding hurt my turtle?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Wow a 125 for a grown alligator snapper?? Are you sure it wouldn't even be able to turn these guys get up to 30 inches in shell alone or that's what Wikipedia said. Anyways I'm ordering mine from a reputable guy tomorrow how fast can I expect my turtle to grow and how big do they usually get in the aquarium would power feeding hurt my turtle?
Never mind I just read that but if you know much about growth rate let me know!!! Thanks

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
You definitely don't want to power feed, this tends to happen a lot with people who own snappers just like it does with people who own large pythons. It will ultimately cause health problems and could kill your turtle. Plus, with AST's, it doesn't even really increase growth rate.
I got mine about eight months ago at 2.5 inches, he's just short of 3.5 inches now, to give you some perspective. I think it really just depends on the turtle though.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
You definitely don't want to power feed, this tends to happen a lot with people who own snappers just like it does with people who own large pythons. It will ultimately cause health problems and could kill your turtle. Plus, with AST's, it doesn't even really increase growth rate.
I got mine about eight months ago at 2.5 inches, he's just short of 3.5 inches now, to give you some perspective. I think it really just depends on the turtle though.
Wow yeah I don't wanna cause any health problems down the line I just wanted alittle size on him for now you know to look like an actual alligator snapping turtle. Oh well atleast if he's a slow grower that means I can keep him in a tank longer and I'll get to enjoy his setup alittle longer before he ends up out in the pond.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice,how big and old is it?....and what is on the other side of that partition?

bjarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2017
Nice,how big and old is it?....and what is on the other side of that partition?
Its only a plastic grid to help support him when stretching out for air. :) Im not sure about age, but he is about 40-50 centimeters from nose to tail.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's a neat idea.

bjarke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2017
yea it works pretty well, but it needs to be held proper in place, he pulled it down twice, and its partly buried in gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store