Show your Wallagu!

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Past or present, i wanna see them all!

Stories of them? Are they aggressive or just predatory? Shy? Outgoing? Active? Lazy?

Thanks ahead! Looking foward to the replies :D

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've had one attu, not for long, from perhaps 4" to perhaps 8". Lost it during a cross country move. Not active, not shy. Ate a comparable, a bit smaller wyckii tank mate (had 4 of them), likely after the wyckii died. The wyckii's pectoral spine poked through attu's tummy and was sticking out entirely. Didn't seem to affect the attu much. Gradually with more feedings the spine got pulled in and the puncture healed quickly.

First leerii I got was about 1'. Grew it up to 2' in a 4000 gal pond. Was very hard to feed. Took fish pieces reluctantly. Lived in a clay pot, never, ever came out (IDK about the nights). Had to shove food into the pot, which was met with a strong blow from the catfish. Died for unknown reason at 2' after ~2 years.

Second leerii I got was about 6". Drastically different case. Eats pellets very well, actually prefers pellets very strongly to fish (incidentally similar to wels). Today, ~1 year later, it is ~1.5'+. Not active. Only see it swimming around a bit when I feed. Otherwise, mostly hovers in one spot away from current (hence the name helicopter catfish, I guess).

First leerii during a WC and vacuuming in the 4000 gal pond:

Zubatka 1.JPG Zubatka 2.JPG

Second leerii in a 240 gal, 0:10-0:20 and 0.55-1.30 min:

If you are really lucky, A arapaimag aka Michael Bryce will chime in with stories about his two ~160 cm leerii (male and female) that rule over his 52,000 gal tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store