Shrimp compatibility

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I think I know the answer to this but want to see if anyones done it. Has anyone kept rainbow shiners and shrimp in the same tank? My gut tells me they’ll eventually eat the shrimp.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
I'm speculating, but shiners eat inverts, but have tiny mouths and I don't think they hunt in packs. Tiny shrimp and eggs would be food, small shrimp might be food, medium and up should be fine. Ghost shrimp would be an easy and inexpensive way to figure it out.

Guppy_R

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2022
They might not as well, but if the shrimp feel threatened most likely they would stay under shelter most of the time and not come out , so if you want to keep them, you could add a lot of driftwood and plants : )
But yes best to test them with a two or three first probably

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I think I know the answer to this but want to see if anyones done it. Has anyone kept rainbow shiners and shrimp in the same tank? My gut tells me they’ll eventually eat the shrimp.
What type of Shrimp? Don't Rainbow Shiners require a cool water temperature ?

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
What type of Shrimp? Don't Rainbow Shiners require a cool water temperature ?
I currently have both cherry and blue velvet shrimp and keep the tank at 72 degrees. Rainbow shiners can tolerate up to the upper 70s in water temp so it wouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately the tank is established so I can't test with ghost shrimp although that was a great idea. I still might give it a shot and see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store