Silicon question?

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Hello all,
I have a 90 gallon basically brand new. I tiled the tank with large 18x24 tiles because I was keeping my bearded dragon in it for a couple of months. However, I have recently moved my beardie to better quarters and now have this beautiful 90 gallon. When I tiled the tank, I don't remember what kind of silicon I used. If the silicon is not aquarium safe and I fill it for cycling, will it kill everything in the tank? My thought process is because it's cured for over 6 months now, would that make it safe for me to use? I want to conduct an experiment with some feeders to see how they thrive in the aquarium, however before doing anything, I'd rather get some real life experiences from the MFK masses. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Manny

Gaddisautoglass

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
I'd personally not risk it, get silicone 1 that has no mold inhibitors if you want to keep the tile on bottom, I use ge silicone 1 for my reseals and other aquarium projects. I did mess up by getting silicone 2 while building a tank when I first got in the hobby, those fish lasted a few months and then started dying one after another due to the mold inhibitors leaching into their water.

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
Unfortunately, that's what I thought. So being 6 months cured out of water has no impact on toxicity of silicone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store