Silver arowana breathing with mouth open and closing

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
My silver arowana has been in his new 150 gal for about 2 weeks now and I noticed that it's breathing with its mouth opening and closing? Are my water parameters off, does it have indigestion, am I overfeeidng it, or the water level too high?
It used to be in a 60 gal grow out.
The day after I moved it in it started eating its pellets again and eats like a beast. About 15-18 pellets a day. It used to be afraid of the JD and bp but now it out competes them like crazy now and gets super excited when pellets touch the water but I just don't understand why it's opening and closing its mouth I have 205 gallons of filtration (two canister filters) the temp is set at 80 degrees. Maybe I'll get my water tested but I do 25% water changes every week with a gravel siphon to get the waste out from the gravel.

image.jpeg

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Not sure if thats normal or not but if its eating I know thats a good sign. I always know a fish will most likely make it if it starts eating. Just recently had a fish beat to hell but it ate still. Half her skin came off and I can see bruising on it since its white. Its been healing fine but in your sake I don't see any reason for it to breathe like that. I'm no arowana expert by any means but that doesn't like abnormal.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The only time I see my Lei (~8") breathing with mouth opening and closing is when it's just had some food (krill, chunks of bloodworms, "bigger" size pellets). After about 10 minutes, or less, it stops. That, or when it gets spooked for whatever reason.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
The only time I see my Lei (~8") breathing with mouth opening and closing is when it's just had some food (krill, chunks of bloodworms, "bigger" size pellets). After about 10 minutes, or less, it stops. That, or when it gets spooked for whatever reason.
Ya that is what it used to be but now this is regardless and every time I see I i don't see any differences other then that

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
Any updates on your arowana? because mine also exhibit same things as you described.
I rehomed it to a larger aquarium when it hit 26 inches, but based on observations and a bit of research heavy breathing comes from a few possible things:
Oxygen levels are kinda low
After a big meal
Water quality is poor
Significant water level change (this is what mine had, they dislike if the water level is higher than normal and thus when I did water changes I marked the tank so I can refill at the same level every time)
Stress (either environmental, water, or tankmates bullying)

Reactions: angelcrze

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
I know next to nothing bout arrows but I think looks normal. My other comment is this: Why do you have an aro with angels? They don't mix well.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
I know next to nothing bout arrows but I think looks normal. My other comment is this: Why do you have an aro with angels? They don't mix well.
This was a while ago, I rehomed the aro when it got too big but when I kept it with the angels I had no issues, the aro only had eyes for his food sticks.

DwarfCichlidLvr

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020
This was a while ago, I rehomed the aro when it got too big but when I kept it with the angels I had no issues, the aro only had eyes for his food sticks.
interesting. That surprises me as someone who keep angels.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
interesting. That surprises me as someone who keep angels.
Definetly not recommended but rule of thumb when keeping aro's, anything that can fit in its mouth is game so just keep it with fish too big for its mouth and keep the aro well fed and there are no issues. But granted as they get huge, many tankmates will only be temporary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store