Skating Fun

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
I have 8 adults. 5 females and 3 males. We had dozens of babies this past year and hundreds more eggs coming. I did have a high mortality rate with the eggs though. It is extremely difficult to keep the water temp low in Florida during the summer. Anything above 75 and it definitely has an affect on the eggs (and babies/adults). Does the lighter egg have a yolk? Usually when they are light colored like that they are empty or spoiled. I started my skates with superba krill and pe mysis. Rarely did I have to use live.

Reactions: AR577

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I am pretty sure it has a yolk. My other post has a picture. When I candled it last the yolk didn't look firm so I am not sure if it is good or no. I am just going to leave it for a few weeks before checking on it again. The tank is about 60 degrees unheated/chilled. As the summer goes on it will reach the mid to high 70's so I will get a small chiller if the eggs are good. It's good to hear about the feeding. I collected small ghost shrimp, silversides, sand crabs and worms and seeded the tank so there are tons of food in there incase there there is an issue.

Do they lay year round,or seasonally?

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
I am pretty sure it has a yolk. My other post has a picture. When I candled it last the yolk didn't look firm so I am not sure if it is good or no. I am just going to leave it for a few weeks before checking on it again. The tank is about 60 degrees unheated/chilled. As the summer goes on it will reach the mid to high 70's so I will get a small chiller if the eggs are good. It's good to hear about the feeding. I collected small ghost shrimp, silversides, sand crabs and worms and seeded the tank so there are tons of food in there incase there there is an issue.

Do they lay year round,or seasonally?
They seem to lay seasonally... Although it could just be tank temps that interrupt their breeding. If the yoke is not firm it more than likely isn't viable. I would check on it often to make sure, they get pretty rancid fast if left.

AR577

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2014
N.America
I never heard of people keeping skates before. Never heard of a skate before this. Is it a type of stingray.

varakka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
NJ
Similar to a stingray but no barb or venom. Some have thorny spikes on their tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store