skulls and bones in aquariums

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I currently have a small oddity collection of skulls and wet specimens I keep in an old china cabinet that I'm moving to my dining room in this room I'm also probably setting up my Fahaka puffers tank but I'm waiting until he or she gets large enough to go into the 120 I'm keeping set aside for said fish so probably in 2-3 months.
Most of my skulls are pretty common things to own but I'm wanting to place one in my aquarium and I'm wondering how bad this would jack up my water quality if at all?
I'm actually thinking of dropping the cash on a Nile croc skull for this tank which isn't extremely cheap especially not for a aquarium decoration and I'm just wanting to make sure this skull won't hurt my tank or fish and also won't breakdown supper fast and be a waist of money. if I can keep a skull in the tank but it isn't the best for the skull itself I might hold off on the croc and get another cheaper skull as I just can't stand the aquarium decorative skulls. Any ideas?
Also I'm wanting your guys ideas on skulls if I don't go with the crocodile but can still keep skulls like this !!!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'd seal the entire skull with thinned epoxy. Without sealing, the skull's calcium content will slowly dissolve out until the skull crumbles apart. The epoxy will also allow for more coarse cleaning once algae starts to cover the piece.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Most are old farm animals (not mine) and a couple are pet type animals I'm trying to talk my girlfriends parents into giving me an emus skull once one dies and also an alpacas but I think none of theirs are supper old so I've got some waiting to do. im wanting to get some more road kill peices like bobcats coyotes fox racoon etc. along with some exotics I just don't want anything that was killed for this reason alone just seems kinda jacked up. My favorite peice for the time being has to be between my crested gecko that passed away, the mummified possum I pulled out of a wall to an old shed behind some of my parents rental properties or the horse with the bullet still lodged in his skull I was given from a family friend I'll attach pics later I seriously have like no photos on this phone my camera is broken

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I'd seal the entire skull with thinned epoxy. Without sealing, the skull's calcium content will slowly dissolve out until the skull crumbles apart. The epoxy will also allow for more coarse cleaning once algae starts to cover the piece.
Ok thanks that's perfect kinda thought of something like that but didn't know

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
I collect skulls also and I would test this out on a cheaper more common skull before using your croc skull or anything of value. I'd let it sit in a "test aquarium" for a few weeks (or months???) just to be sure there are no negative effects to the skull or the aquarium. Nice collection by the way!

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I collect skulls also and I would test this out on a cheaper more common skull before using your croc skull or anything of value. I'd let it sit in a "test aquarium" for a few weeks (or months???) just to be sure there are no negative effects to the skull or the aquarium. Nice collection by the way!
Thanks and yeah I got a couple other peices like 2 other wet specimens and 4 skulls 1 being smaller but I want more to fill the cabinet completely so bigger peices like a 14+ inch croc skulls help. The cabinet is about 8 ft long and 8 ft tall plus 2 ft deep so I got some space to fill. I'm thinking of ordering this pack of like 5 skulls online all different skulls as well as a few wet specimen jars but I'm holding off on ordering a tortoise like I wanted as my parents sulcatas were breeding and laid eggs I'm waiting to see if any don't make it. Lol I'm hoping they do but who knows. being someone who collects and keeps aquariums I'm assuming you would have some ideas? what would be another cool skull to add to a tank if I'm avoiding the croc for now definitely something from africa like the puffer that's my only input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store