snake head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackgloves

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
Elgin Texas
I started hearing about snake head fish. how mean they are. suppose to be the "great white shark" of fresh water. Just curious if anyone owns one, has pics or has any stories about these fish. Im very curious and fascinated about them. Did a small research on them.

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
They are illegal, I remember when you could buy them at any petshop.

Mustbebored

Feeder Fish
Jun 29, 2015
I started hearing about snake head fish. how mean they are. suppose to be the "great white shark" of fresh water. Just curious if anyone owns one, has pics or has any stories about these fish. Im very curious and fascinated about them. Did a small research on them.
Their are many different breeds of the snakehead. They were banned because they were labeled vicious after someone released some into a Maryland water way and its voracious appetite negatively effected the waterways eco system. The problem with banning the fish was the ones that were released in the Maryland water ways wasn't a common one that was sold in the pet stores. They came from Asia. It was equivalent to someone bringing up a Spanish Mastiff to the states and because they weren't responsible with it, all breeds of the mastiff gets banned. My fish usually lasted approx 10 years and they did eat A LOT, they weren't vicious to people. I usually kept a variety of fish in the tank with them and unless they needed extra room or the fish looked like food, they were compatible. I wish they would revisit the ban on the snakehead but I doubt its on anyone's agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store