Sneak Peek ~ New 250 gallon (festae pen)

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Lighting will make a lot of difference. I think the rock idea is a good one. I've always just used Home Depot/Lowe's bagged pea gravel. Just needs a good washing. So the "rocks" are hollow then? I'd love to drill an opening into a few of them for my tank. PM what the cost for a couple of the larger ones would be...
I made a big hide for my female black belt in my 125. I cut out the back so you couldn't even tell. Looked good, random people who came over thought they were real rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
awesome! where can i get backgrounds like that?
Thanks! You can order from Matt ("Shyro77" here on MFK) he is the owner of www.designsbynature.net and a great guy.

Lighting will make a lot of difference. I think the rock idea is a good one. I've always just used Home Depot/Lowe's bagged pea gravel. Just needs a good washing. So the "rocks" are hollow then? I'd love to drill an opening into a few of them for my tank. PM what the cost for a couple of the larger ones would be...
I'll ask Matt today and text you later on when I hear back. Your pretty close so I doubt shipping would be much at all.

Im looking for some festae young.Let me know when you are ready to sell.Nice looking pair.
Send a private message to freshwaterpredators (Jason) great guy, quality fish and better packing for shipping than anyone else I have ordered from. Or post a want to buy add in the marketplace section.

I have seen that done befor and it looked realy good cant wait to c how yours turns out
Thanks Craig!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update as of last night:

The male and female are finally back together with around 50 fry. I lost a couple hundered of the fry in transit. :( This is their first spawn and my hopes were low for getting many fry grown out but still a bummer. Please excuse the lighting, sponges and heaters etc.. The tank is just thrown together right now. I will scape it this week and buy the permanent lighting. I am going to get the pea gravel to add to the sand today.

DSC_0056.JPG

If you look closely in this pic, you can see all the areas to hide for the female in the background itself. She can be 5" in front of his face and he doesn't see her. This combination of large tank footprint and functional background/scape IMO will give the pair the best chance long term for making it.

(LOPAKA & Modest_Man, be honest do you think the sand choice looks any better now that the tank has cleared up a bit?)

DSC_0016.JPG

She is a little washed out from just being reunited with the male (she has had a two week break from him).

DSC_0044.JPG

Unrelated pic but Ike gets jealous and bangs the glass while I work on the festae pen. I grabbed a few pics of the pair so they know I still care lol..

DSC_0036.JPG

We are not finished unpacking from the move yet but the garage/man cave is getting closer. I have a lot of non-fish realted work to do in the next few days to get the garage in order. Once I get the racking put up, I will take a night time pic from the driveway. My new neighbors all slow down when they drive by like "WTF is that" :ROFL:

DSC_0077.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0077.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
setup looks awesome justin. gonna add any greenery in there? i think a little green would really tie everything together
Thanks Forest. No sir, no plants in the tank, only hardscape. Behind the background is "wasted space" so I am going all out for live plant filtration behind the background/top of the tank similar to what is pictured below on my 120 gallon.

Between being over filtered, drip system, large tank for dilution and the live plant filtration this pair will grow quickly. I won't need to overfeed to get a good growth rate. I am going for cleanest water and quality food in moderation so I don't cut down on the life span of these two. I hope that makes sense.

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

rocky2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
india
dat setup really looks nice .

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
I still think the sand is too bright. Might be a bit deep as well? (Or just not aquascaped yet). Just my opinion though. After the real lighting is in place it might look different.

LOPAKA

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
where EVERY things LEGAL :)
Justin, when do you estimate you will be completely done on the interior of the tank so I can give you my $.02 ?

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
Justin, I'll give you my $.02 on what I think..... Not tank related because it looks amazing. From one man to another.... What the heck is up with the garage?!? Partially drywalled, taped, mud and no paint? You have all these beautiful tanks butted up to the walls and bare drywall behind/around them? I think a nice coat of satin white paint On the walls and ceiling will set the tanks off and make you focus on the tanks verses the tape lines on the drywall. Half a day of painting Justin.... Do it buddy! :)

(and case in that garage door!:) )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store