So you want to keep a RTC (Red Tailed Catfish)?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Would i be able to buy a red tail catfish? i have an Alligator gar 2.5-3in, sliver arowana 5-6 inches, and an alibno clown knife 4-5in. if i could get a red tail would i be able to have a tiger shovel as well. Ive had a red tail cat and know how big they get.....Thanks
RTCxknife.jpg

RTC x CK.jpg

Anything is possible. I'd recommend not mixing any species you're not willing to lose.

rtceataro.jpg

rtctsn.jpg

Syed Husain

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2015
I got one RTC about 4 inch but not eat anything since buy from LFS 3 days ago..

Tank Mates with :-

1. HBG Arowana
2. Long Tail Turtle
3. Spotted Knife Fish
4. Senegal Bichir
5. Florida Gar

Doesn't move but only hiding at the corner side..

Food Try :-

1. Feeder Goldfish
2. Ghost Shrimp
3. Superworm
4. Market Prawn
5. Market Tiger Prawn

Any advise why this RTC behaviour like this?

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
He's new and still adjusting. He may also be frightened of the others, depending on how large they are. He's probably frightened of the turtle- turtles tend to be bad tankmates for most fish.

Reactions: Syed Husain

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Me and the mrs went into our LFS the other day. They had a baby RTC about 2" long. My mrs was drooling over the cuteness and wanted it so bad. This is the same woman who surprised me a few weeks ago by investing in a baby RTGG. "But out tanks massive, it"ll be fine" she said as i was hyperventilating on the floor. I had to take the owner to one side and tell him, no more fish for this loonatic of a woman!

Raven Tweedy

Feeder Fish
Feb 23, 2016
Hey! So I'm considering getting a redtail cat. My sister's dad builds custom tanks and he's willing to do a total tank install in our basement.
The room itself is 15' W X 20'L and the ceiling is about 8'
Should I have a really shallow really big tank? Or should I get a pond installed elsewhere?

Mario DeLuca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2016
guelph
I got an rtc last spring as a present from my wife, she got it on clearance sale. Unfortunately though i do not have a set up to really support him, and the store she bought it from closed 2 days after the purchase so i was unable to exchange it for something more suitable.
He is now currently 19.5 inches long .
I am now in the process of trying to make a large living space for him in my garage utilizing plexi-glass. It currently is about 75% complete, and has a ladder to get in and out for cleaning.
My problem though is i have to find a good way to filter it since it is going to essentially be an indoor pool by the time its said and done. I am currently trying to repurpose a pool filter to do the job, but have concerns about it not supplying enough oxygen into the water.
It stands at 6ft long, 5ft wide and 4ft high.
Anyone have any ideas that won't include a sump system? Already have too many tanks in there and dont want to have to clear a load more space to do a large sump system for the project.

Mario DeLuca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2016
guelph
As for the feeding of my rtc and his 2 tank mates.
A 19 inch northern pike and a 9 inch oscar. I strictly feed them only live/dead food.
Be it mice, minnows, crayfish, bugs, worms or leaches.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Frozen foods would probably be a lot more convenient, would run no risk of escaping or introducing pathogens, and would be just as nutritious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store