Socks vs foam

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
My sump socks are not as efficient as they can be because they are slightly below the water level (although I do have the PVC pipe going directly into the socks). As a result, I know some detritus does float out of the socks but within the mechanical chamber. Although I have seen sock openings above the water surface and still see detritus floating around as well so there's other factors there.

Anyway since I do have chambers, I ended adding poret blocks covering opening where water flows to the second, biological, chamber. This second mechanical filtration does help, but I wouldn't use it without my socks in my situation. Like someone said above, it depends on how your sump will be set-up and assuming your using sufficient material density.

I have seen set-ups (including my bro-in-law's) where you could split the drains as you reach the sump to flow into many socks or stage the flow to natural flow into many socks. You then have 3-4 socks rather than just 1-2. The net result is changing less often. I change my socks every two weeks now as fish are getting bigger, but that's because I have low stock for the size of my tank. I think it's hassle doing every two weeks, but it's all relative I suppose...

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yesh i guess the original plan would be best for my needs....4 socks.

Right now im using 100 micron and am happy with them. I do feel like if i get lazy with changing them out i notice more debris in the main tank but thats not really a big issue.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used both, and sometimes put foam in socks when the socks get small holes. I don't think any one is better or worse than the other, as they both do the same thing, it's all about what works, and is easier for you do.
I consider myself really lazy, so for me sumps are always best, and canisters have always been way too user "un"friendly.

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
I'm using both. I have 50 micron socks and a poly pad. I made my setup specifically to have a settling chamber, socks, settling chamber and then poly pad on top of my trickle lower. I DO NOT want my bio balls getting a bunch of crap in them.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I like just pulling out the sock n switch it out in a matter of minute.. the time u spend setup for foam then or to sock will create more problems.. I thought of you idea before but eventually you have to pull out the foam to allow the flow of water back to sump..that creates more problem in the long run like backing up of the overflow chamber..

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I like just pulling out the sock n switch it out in a matter of minute.. the time u spend setup for foam then or to sock will create more problems.. I thought of you idea before but eventually you have to pull out the foam to allow the flow of water back to sump..that creates more problem in the long run like backing up of the overflow chamber..
Yo hows the new tank ? You have a thread on it ?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Yoo... Not setup yet... Tank is sitting in garage collecting dust cuz stupid roofer.. I had to ripped off and new roof so no time.. 18sqs of shingle roof and 180sq ft of flat.. lots of thing on my plate.. tank was so so..

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Damn well atleadt you got it. Why do you say so so ?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Lots good features but u figure that the corner of the tank would be trimmed like large glass tank so u won't cut ur fingers.. I would say the tanks edges were only buffed so its not sharp..

IMAG3030.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Lots good features but u figure that the corner of the tank would be trimmed like large glass tank so u won't cut ur fingers.. I would say the tanks edges were only buffed so its not sharp..

View attachment 1184528
Looks great man....freakin looks huge looks like you can sleep in it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store