SOLAR POWER MFKERS

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
hey guys just wondering if anyone here is on solar power? or possibly made their own solar unit just to run their aquariums?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I had a panel running my return but a baseball ended that trip.
A good friend of mine has solar for the whole house and swears he loves it even though it was $30K.....he says, "at least my aquarium runs free..."

I am waiting for demand to spark the industry to get competitive with each other and start making solar more affordable. The panel I had ran the pump fine during the day but it was sluggish by morning...I probably needed another battery....

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would go solar in a heartbeat, but unfortunately, my roof faces east/west :(

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
When I bought my house in NC I called in a few installers and got quotes. My plan was to have the "grid" pay me instead. Quotes where as low as $30k and the highest was $5?k. I passed on the whole deal simply because of cost. The panels have an efficiency life span and so do the batteries and if you're unlucky the controllers can fail. The way I understood it I would be replacing panels almost immediately after paying off the system. Figured I'd wait for the solar push and buy in then or slowly assemble a system over time.

I would go solar in a heartbeat, but unfortunately, my roof faces east/west :(
Do you mean that the actual flat parts of your roof are in the shade and the peak is east to west?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Do you mean that the actual flat parts of your roof are in the shade and the peak is east to west?
For the most efficiency, you want one of the "flat" part of the roof to be facing south. Solar power leasing companies won't even consider you qualify if you don't meet this first criteria.

D-RIG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2015
San Diego , CA.
Solar is great , running 2 tanks now as I added a 200 gal. a few months back

1 40 gal with Fluval 305 75 watt heater and LED lighting .
200 gal with 2 Fluval 406 and a FX6 with 2-300 watt heaters and LED lighting .

The electric bill was just under 5 dollars a month but
after the 200 gal tank it went to 7.50 dollars a month
I really do like solar .

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
$7.50 LOL That's awesome!

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
whole house solar is great, all we pay is the monthly $13 utility connection fee which would exist whether or not we use any power. Of course I would not consider buying solar on my own just yet, house was already equipped though. And BTW my peaks face north/south and panels are on the east slope, still running an electricity surplus.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
And BTW my peaks face north/south and panels are on the east slope, still running an electricity surplus.
Perhaps it is because you're in California and I'm in New Hampshire....difference in solar intensity?

But, I agree, solar equipment is still too expensive right now to own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store