SOS need help, bd ray just got slashed by my ATF! Deep gash

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I believe jim barry jim barry attributed a lost pregnancy to salt.
It could be a handful of things due to miscarriage unless their was an extensive autopsy you can't blame it on the salt.

I salt my tank with my rays and aggressive one time and all survived.

The biggest thing is clean water. All I'm saying is salt I don't think won't have an ill effect but clean water is necessary. Turn off lights less stress

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I see no reason why it shouldn't be fine, doesn't appear to be organ damage. Just watch for secondary infections.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thanks, I will let it ride out for now and apply salt if I feel the healing process is too slow. I wasn't sure about salt because I hear about it burning stingrays since they don't have any scales. Do you guys see the gash behind the eye? It's literally right behind it but missed the eye itself, thank god. My ATFs are beginning to mature and are getting more aggressive. Hope this is an isolated occurrence.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wouldn't be the first fish to live without an eye man. Not the biggest deal, they are blind as bats anyway. Nothing wrong with salt man, I would do it, just dump it in your sump. I never worried worth a crap about dosage I just dumped enough to keep my mind at ease in the sump and left it, I'm on a drip so if it was too much it wouldnt last long. I think with rays main issue is organ damage just imagine it as a sting from another ray.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Wouldn't be the first fish to live without an eye man. Not the biggest deal, they are blind as bats anyway. Nothing wrong with salt man, I would do it, just dump it in your sump. I never worried worth a crap about dosage I just dumped enough to keep my mind at ease in the sump and left it, I'm on a drip so if it was too much it wouldnt last long. I think with rays main issue is organ damage just imagine it as a sting from another ray.
I've heard that eye damage is frequently fatal, and the proximity of it worried me as well. If the fish isn't acting as if it's suffering yet though, I'd imagine it will heal up okay.

Reactions: SHARK13

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to add some salt to the sump. Hopefully he heals up quickly with clean water. Will keep you guys posted.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Salt can and will effect bio if dosed heavily. I have seen this first hand... If you rely heavily on bio like alot of us do it can be dangerous... It can also be stressful on rays just like other meds. It's not all that unreasonable to think a prego female could become stressed enough under a heavy salt dose and abort pups.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
SHARK13 SHARK13 I just dumped a one lb bag of salt into my sump. And yes I do rely heavily on bio as well.. About 220 gallons of water so should be alright, not a heavy dose.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
SHARK13 SHARK13 I just dumped a one lb bag of salt into my sump. And yes I do rely heavily on bio as well.. About 220 gallons of water so should be alright, not a heavy dose.
Watch for an ammonia spike, just in case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store