Speaking of TSN runts, dinks, and Co...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our first half a dozen rescue TSNs from 2009-2011. In a 4000 gal basement pond 40'x6'x3'.

100_2368.JPG

100_2577.JPG

Crocateus.JPG

Genik 2.JPG

group 10.JPG

group 13.JPG

Hoover and group.JPG

Jo and Terroristo.JPG

Pirat and Crocateus.JPG

Terroristo 1.JPG

Terroristo 2.JPG

Terroristo and group.JPG

Terrosto 1.JPG

we got better lighting.JPG

Yudee 1.JPG

We have been talking about how ornamental fish trade gets culls (read - gene pool waste) from fish farms, when it comes to many farmed fish, e.g., catfish like IDS, paroon sharks, RTC, TSN, TSNxRTC, TSNxLei, walking catfish spp, Hemibagrus spilopterus, channel catfish, etc.

This one's about a TSN: I got it 3 years ago from Snookn21 at a skinny 3"-4". It was only a foot after 1 year, 1.5' after 2 years, which about 2x slower growth rate, while I was feeding it well with whole fish to its content.

Last summer it fasted for 3 months in its 4500 gal, I didn't know why. Then started eating ok again. Same thing this year.

Today at 23" and ~4 years old it's dead. For an unknown reason. External damage is post-mortum action by tankmates.

My first guess is that it's a runt and their lifespan can be very short. It's been reported by Moontanman that his runt Mississippi paddlefish didn't make it past 3-5 years.

Surely there could have been other reasons. Just because it's never looked sick, it could have been sick. I cut it up and have not found much noteworthy, no inflammations, no tumors, no macroscopic parasites, just messed up intestine that looked like a mass, but it could have been some overgrown internal organ that I didn't recognize.

Anyhoo, just a hunch that ~4 years could have been an expected lifespan of this poor genetic hiccup.

TSN cigaretten dead 1.JPG TSN cigaretten dead 2.JPG

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Always sad to see an old friend go down, sorry for the loss...its hard to say what the cause ever is in a large monster community setting. Not uncommon to find corpses after lights out as im sure u know as well as i do by now. Could have just hit a wall too hard, could have been pierced by a catfish arm or as u suspect just bad genetics leading to organ abnormality. Interesting theory on dinks... Only evidence i can report on my end is my current p. retic "dink" is about 22-24", far more slender than the cat u just pictured and ive had him 7 yrs now since he was 8"-10". Maybe hes a ticking time bomb :/ ...as i always say, id rather be lucky than good lol... u should go pick up a cple tsn from that new guy in boca r. florida, pic i saw looked like p. tigrinum :)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hi Viktor, i'm sorry for you're loss......typically runts are smaller, weaker, and more prone to immune system issues. While many people know the basics of runts, not a lot understand their immune system is generally pretty weak as well, so anything could have happened. I hate it because I always pick runts to give them the best chance and it's more heartbreaking to lose them, but you just kinda feel a little better when you tell yourself "How much worse their life could have been w/ a different owner". My little baby girl Pitbull had cancer removed twice and she's only gonna be 9 years old in 2 weeks. It started when she was 6 yrs and she was also a runt....

.....on the other hand, runts can be the most tenacious, fiery and fearsome of all their siblings simply because they had to fight twice as hard just to get a fair share of food/water/mother's milk/territory. This dog is attached to my hip, Bro lol

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
A friend of mine has a runty flathead that's only maybe 5 or 6 pounds, had it for 13 years, he may still have it. Also in my giant channel cat project there was a wild caught dink that stayed about 14 inches, all the others beat 26 inches, with most over 30

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
A friend of mine has a runty flathead that's only maybe 5 or 6 pounds, had it for 13 years, he may still have it. Also in my giant channel cat project there was a wild caught dink that stayed about 14 inches, all the others beat 26 inches, with most over 30
Aren't most channel cats in the wild from a farm still as most lakes etc are stocked with them due to fishing?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
A lot of ponds contain farm raised channel cats or their decendants, but dinks occur in many species in the wild, many don't survive long tho

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store