spoiled bullhead

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
A controversial practice but heart-warming nevertheless :)

What size did you get it at? Yours looks good size.

I got mine two a year ago at about 2". They are only ~5" today.

Homer Siped

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2015
He is around 12-13" now, when we got him he was around 10". My mom had a rtc and tsn that liked being petted too. Haha now if I could get her to do same thing with my snapping turtle:p. We have 4 other bullheads that my daughter caught that are around an inch long as well. Yea I like the colors on him, I'd never seen one like that and I had to have him when we saw it lol

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Sweet! I've had a few species that liked to be petted as well, namely a S.A. red tail, a leiarius pictus sail fin cat, a c. apurensis and an a. wittei giraffe cat. Most other species don't like hands and will dart to the other end of the tank as soon as they smell/taste a hand with a barbel. My red tail would like to be petted by me only, if someone else tried it she would swim away. I would liken it to the same way a dog knows friend from foe by smell. I wonder why Viktor would think petting fish would be controversial. The only downside I can think of is the possibility of overdoing it and perhaps removing some of the fish's protective slime coat therefore making the fish more vulnerable to infection? In my experience, never a problem and something to be enjoyed by the fish and their human...

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good to hear from you, Kirk! Not my stance, just common knowledge, I thought. Yes, I think it is about the protective slime coat and yes, I think when done in moderation the benefits outweigh the risks.

When a catfish is rubbing against you, it may be the same as the dog licking you in the sense that catfish entire skin is covered with taste buds - this source says 700 taste buds per square centimeter. Catfish is not unlike one huge tongue, seeing its world primarily through taste whilst we perceive the world primarily through sight.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I've had a lot of fish that enjoyed petting including: bluegill, striped puffer, tomato clownfish, bullfrog tadpoles, angelfish, platy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store