sponge filter pre soak?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
i just went and bought a used 55 gallon tank stand a the guy had a sponge filters so i picked one up too since i want to have one with my canister filter when i get around to setting up my tank. i have some driftwood soaking in water with some prime in it and since the sponge was wet wen he gave it to me i decided to soak it too. is that okay? or should the sponge be fine without a pre soak?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you disinfected the sponge with bleach because it was used before, then yes, rinsing it with water and soaking in a prime/water mixture should remove any traces of the bleach.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I didn't disinfect the sponge with bleach I just threw it in there to act like a disinfectant

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Rinse it out and cycle the tank again :)

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Just to be clear, the Seachem Prime is not a disinfectant but is used to remove chlorine and chloramine from tap water.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
That's what my gf's mom told me to do since she keeps a lot of fish and uses driftwood. Should I be soaking it in something else?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
When do you plan on setting up the 55G tank?

I am guessing the sponge filter the guy gave you was a used and dirty filter that would help you to start the cycle process on your new tank, correct?

If you haven't been running the sponge filter with an air pump or power head in the container of water then the good bacteria in/on the sponge filter is possibly dormant or dead since they need water flow and a source of food to remain viable.

You can keep the driftwood submerged in water until you are ready to set up your tank, especially if it is the type of driftwood that takes a long time to become water logged enough to sink.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Itll be a while before I'll have my tank setup to be able to put water In it due to my budget between buying a car and a fish tank lol. But my driftwood already sinks but I was told to soak it to get rid of any bacteria it might have a get rid of tannis? I think it's called so my water won't be so merky

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store