sponge filter pre soak?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Itll be a while before I'll have my tank setup to be able to put water In it due to my budget between buying a car and a fish tank lol. But my driftwood already sinks but I was told to soak it to get rid of any bacteria it might have a get rid of tannis? I think it's called so my water won't be so merky
New wood releases tannins that will murk your water but won't harm your fish

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
So do I even need to soak my wood? Or is it aquarium save as is?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
So do I even need to soak my wood? Or is it aquarium save as is?
Presoaking is best if you can do it to remove tannins but otherwise just hose it down. Just empty and refill the tank weekly if you are soaking it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; This may add to the confusion but also may help. The upfront question is what you intend to do with the sponge filter.
Use #1 is to use it like a brand new sponge filter. That being that it provides aeration by the air bubbles, helps create some mild water flow, breaks the water surface and some very limited mechanical filtration (The sponge will become loaded with fine stuff over time).

Use #2 is to act a seeding source for beneficial bacteria (bb) which will help get a new tank up and running and shorten the "cycle" every tank needs to be established and healthy for the fish. That you stated it will be a while before you start up a tank,
be a while before I'll have my tank setup to be able to put water In it
then the old sponge may not have the bb available later on in time. The bb are alive and the point of using a sponge filter to seed a new tank is that they need to be used fairly quickly. You can keep the bb going by some methods but I will not go into this. My take being that you will not be using the sponge filter as a seed source due to the time delay.

That said, my take is that the sponge will be Use #1. That being the case you do not have to do much of anything with it. I have several old sponge filters on hand.
Some were taken from a tank and thrown into a container just the way they were and left that way to dry up. When I need them I clean them up.
Others have been rinsed well when first removed the old tank and then placed into storage. This is the better method as it is easier to clean out the fine stuff while still wet. Just stick it in clean water and squeeze it a bunch until most of the stuff is out. I then allow them to dry out. It may be best to treat such stored equipment in a mild bleach solution prior to use in a new tank setup. If they are soaked in a bleach solution, this will kill off any bad bacteria and parasites and also the good bb and sort of place the sponge back like a new filter. If soaked in bleach you will need to treat them with a water conditioner product such as Prime or Safe to neutralize the Clorox.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store