Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Spotted Gar care?

Discussion in 'Gars & Bowfins' started by RTCatz, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. RTCatz

RTCatz MFK Members

Jan 21, 2008
      i'm thinking about buy a gar to put in my 125 but can someone tell me their experience in owning this fish?

1. Are they hardy?
      2. What is their behavior like??? active? aggressive? thanks!!

2. ospy

ospy MFK Members

Mar 27, 2008
      I've had Florida gars for years. I assume that thats what your actually going to get as they are nearly impossible to tell the differance from spotted gars. That coupled with the fact that in the tropical fish industry, Florida gars are primarily whats available. They are a very mild manered fish that gets quite large over a long period of time. They can be trained to eat just about anything including pellets. However, they are a predetor so they will also eat fish. That means if your gar can not tell the differance between his tank mates and lunch, it will become the ladder. It is also important to keep food in his belly if there are tank mates that are of the size where they are close to being snack size. They can be trained to be hand fed and once in a while I will, though you've got to be carefull, as they have very sharp teeth. If he gets you..... lets just say "ouch, and then blood". Cool fish to own. I highly recomend them.

3. 275ti03

275ti03 MFK Members

Yesterday at 10:59 PM
      I agree... Gars are real cool fish to keep... I've got 2 spotted gars... they get along real well with each other and their tankmates... fairly doscile and will eat just about anything that can fit in their mouth or I should say anything they can catch and fit in their mouth...

4. demjor19

demjor19 MFK Members

Oct 23, 2011
      I couldn't have said it better myself!!:headbang2

5. killerg305

killerg305 MFK Members

Apr 25, 2010
      i've had my florida gar for about a week now..he's not usually very active during the day but swims a lot at night. nd he gets along great with my oscar and pacu.he never chases fish and actually waits till their near his mouth so he can catch them i just want to know how do i train him to feed from my hand when he refuses to cum to the top..

6. Gar keeper

Gar keeper MFK Members

Jul 22, 2009
      Very well stated, you will learn to love your Gar as you will see they are a pretty smart fish. ;)

OSPY... For you I recommend spell checker... It's not hard when the words are underlined in red :headbang2

7. Gr8KarmaSF

Gr8KarmaSF 1 is the magic number
      Staff Member

Jer
      Friday at 7:04 PM
      In addition to what everybody said, I would be very careful to make it comfortable so that it does not scare and break its back, a very common issue with gar keepers....

8. Noddy

Noddy MFK Members

Aug 22, 2012
      My gar eats out of my hand ,is 2 months old and has grown 2".
      Comes for seconds now and eat 2 fish a day.
      He's still abit spooked by my oscar but snapped his tail twice,and now the oscar leaves him alone.
      He just keeps his distance from my plecos.

9. killerg305

killerg305 MFK Members

Apr 25, 2010
      how do i get my spotted gar to eat out of my hand because he rarely comes to the and never chases his food he just waits till their near.. any ideas ??

10. Gar-Savy :D

Gar-Savy :D MFK Members

Jul 26, 2009
      Ok so this may have nothing to do with the post but i just got a Florida Gar and i was wondering if a 125 gallon tank would be ok for it ..with a couple of oscers and some other semi large fish .?

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.