Stocking 90 Gallon~ suggestions

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Today is my bday and I saved up money to buy a 60 gallon but was told I couldn't, however my father suggested upgrading the 55. Im planning on a 90 gallon and as much as I say I disklike them I miss some big ole Oscar fish swimming around. I for sure want at least one Oscar although I have been following the aggressive fish trend. What are some suggestions? 2 O's are max right? one idea I had I would want three but I don't think that's a smart thing. But Salvini,Dempsey,Terrors are all some I'm thinking about. Even if something is borderline not able!

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Don't know much about salvini. Jacks are always good. When you say terror do you mean green terror? Full size I've heard they work but growth rate difference could be a potential problem... Something that wasn't on your list that I've been told that has a similar appetite is my chocolate cichlid. He's alittle "bland" looking now but my lfs has 3 in their 900 gallon display tank that are great looking. Best of luck! And oh, happy birthday!

Reactions: Americancichlids

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Don't know much about salvini. Jacks are always good. When you say terror do you mean green terror? Full size I've heard they work but growth rate difference could be a potential problem... Something that wasn't on your list that I've been told that has a similar appetite is my chocolate cichlid. He's alittle "bland" looking now but my lfs has 3 in their 900 gallon display tank that are great looking. Best of luck! And oh, happy birthday!
Thank you! And yes Green terror, I'm borderline on the Jack. Its hard too choose! I keep imagining one albino and one tiger Oscar, but I dunno, one Oscar and maybe a GT and JD. This is a good problem to have though! I'm so excited for a larger tank!

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Wait, I had my heart set on a O, But could I have a male and female jag in a 90?

Benno87

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Australia
Jags get huge mate. Have heard people on here sayin minimum 240 for a pair. You be better off with a pair of green terrors still plenty of colour and personality, but then you'll also end up with fry lol.

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Jags get huge mate. Have heard people on here sayin minimum 240 for a pair.
I think that is just plain overboard IMO. I'm not necessarily going to get a pair but I don't think most jags turn into giant monsters. I did some digging after I posted that and this guy had a pair in a 90 gallon and nobody said it was too small, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping some Jag experts will stumble upon this. Even if I can I REALLY am torn I love some Oscars

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store