Stocking all male peacocks in 75 gals

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
20 might be pushing it. What you listed may work, except the sulfur head, depending on which species it is, some are pretty timid. You may have to removed fish as they grow until you find a mix that works.

As for the sex of the pictured fish, its hard to tell right now.

CichlidAddict4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2015
20 might be pushing it. What you listed may work, except the sulfur head, depending on which species it is, some are pretty timid. You may have to removed fish as they grow until you find a mix that works.

As for the sex of the pictured fish, its hard to tell right now.
Okay, Thanks why not sulfurhead?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
If its aul. Maylandi, they aren't aggressive enough to deal with other fish pushing them around. You'll end up with a silver fish that'll never color up.

CichlidAddict4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2015
If its aul. Maylandi, they aren't aggressive enough to deal with other fish pushing them around. You'll end up with a silver fish that'll never color up.
Okay can you suggest what type of peacock should I get? That would be compatible to my 3 peacocks.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
It could work. Like the dragon bloods, ob's are hybrids. Their temperament can very. I've had them without issue.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
It could work. Like the dragon bloods, ob's are hybrids. Their temperament can very. I've had them without issue.
I agree, no look-alikes. Among peacocks once you have red, yellow and blue there is not much else. I about 12 males in 48x18 but I would not go over 18.

tfktse

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2012
Central NJ, US
You can get an Otophayrnx Lithobates Z-Rock, instead of an Aulonocara Maylandi "Sulfurhead". The Z-Rock will get a nice yellow blaze, if thats what you're looking for, and they're not as aggressive as some other haps. Placidochromis Electra might be a good add too.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
If you go with juveniles you would want to keep each species in a separate tank until you can identify a male and then put him in your show tank. This is to preserve the ability to ID the females so you can sell the rest of the breeding group.

Most stock all-male tanks with adult males so they can be sexed. I have done all adult males and one set of juveniles (to grow out a male I could not get as an adult), but you would need to get the females out the instant they can spawn to avoid bloodshed in your tank.

pagdenjohn@

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2015

Here's my Aulonocara baenschi. Can you identify its gender?
if you mix peacocks and haps and the haps are larger you might find that the peacocks may lose their colour, I have four peacocks in with twenty seven haps all had good colour when i bought them but they lost all their colour and took three months to get it back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store