MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I have a 75 gallon that currently houses the following

2 Severum (one green and one red spotted) both under 4 inches
2 Male Platinum Honduran Red Points
3 Female convicts about 2"
1 Green Phantom pleco

A a few months ago 2 pairs formed between the HRPS and convicts. Both would lay eggs and the fry would get eaten. Now 1 pair had fry about 3 weeks ago. The parents have slowly been claiming more and more of the tank and now everyone else is stuck in one corner.

I really want to keep everything and will do so if the parents will calm down when the fry hit a certain age. Or will this just continue until they are the only ones in the tank. I always thought a 75 was enough room for a pair.

I am guessing my only option is get rid of the females or should I wait it out?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've never found a 75 to be large enough space for a spawning pair of cichlids, and to include any other fish. Whenever I've watched cichlids in nature, a footprint of 4' X 4' (@ 200 gallons) seems to be the typical area for driving off other cichlids.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I went with smaller cichlids because I wanted to be responsible and not cramp some big monster as so many people do. I had a Firemouth pair dominate the 75 every time they bred. Then figured I would try the Honduran red points. Looks like I have to try all male or all female.

So do you think this will calm down or will I have to re home?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Looks like I will have to move the fry and the females otherwise they will just breed again.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Donated the females to a LFS. Sad but needed to be done. The male is still guarding the fry but not as aggressively as the female was. They other fish are starting to venture out and have about 1/3rd of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store