Stop or slow down drop eye?

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I have tried to find scientific articles on this with no success, if somebody has an article or a link, please share.
IMO, nobody seems to know the cause/reason for sure, my take is its genetic in nature, I don't think I have seen a large (2') silver that does not have it. I would be surprised if it is merely a fatty deposit, why would the distribution of fat lead to (in almost all instances) it being deposited behind one eye only?

Reactions: DN328 and Dee eng

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
I have tried to find scientific articles on this with no success, if somebody has an article or a link, please share.
IMO, nobody seems to know the cause/reason for sure, my take is its genetic in nature, I don't think I have seen a large (2') silver that does not have it. I would be surprised if it is merely a fatty deposit, why would the distribution of fat lead to (in almost all instances) it being deposited behind one eye only?
image.jpeg

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The reason for drop eye on one eye could be because most fish are either right or left sided(much like humans typically being right handed),most fish species examined are left sided

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My silver has one dropped eye (right). The other side is fine, doesn't bother the fish, or me.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Cover all sides of the tank with white paper, dim/reduce lighting, slow flow, reduce feeding, and minimize activity below the fish

Reactions: Dee eng

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I agree...there are a lot hypothesis, but I've not come across anyting concrete. If you believe this is most common in various Silver species, then Australian Arowanas and little to non in Asian Arowanas, then it points to genetics making them susceptible and not simply being in tanks or diet alone.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Are we sure this doesn't occur in wild populations, has anybody ever done a controlled survey on this?

Adam Langley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2016
I read somewhere that if you put bright coloured ping pong balls in the tank it forces the arro to look up. Dunno if that's a wind up tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store