Stuegeon Shipping

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sturgeon are fairly common just north of where I used to live, and thrived in waters in the 40'F to 60'F range, (they are active, and often speared from holes cut in the ice) water temps may reach up into the low 70s in the heat of summer for a short time. And when I see the name Siberian I don't think of warm, so if I had them, I'd try to keep water as cold as possible.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Ya, I think that the reason they did that was the fact that due to the tanks high temp, the dissolved o2 was low and they started "dying". Well they are back to normal and swimming like they use to, but I think that they can handle higher temp like high 70s if there is a a lot of dissolved o2. But I will try my best so that they can be in the low 70s, but it won't be easy as I'm gone for 8 hours a day, and the temp goes up 1 degree and hour. So every morning before I leave I have to lower the tank to 70 degrees or lower

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Or, at the very least, a dedicated window air conditioner for the room the sturgeon tank is in. Your absence is not license for not properly maintaining this species that you took on.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Or, at the very least, a dedicated window air conditioner for the room the sturgeon tank is in. Your absence is not license for not properly maintaining this species that you took on.
I understand, but for the air conditioner the tank is in a large area between the living room and the kitchen, and there are large opens to walk through. Everything is connected temp wise. In my absence the tank has 3 large aerators so that the tank at least has enough dissolved o2 for them until I arrive home and cold the tank down. I also have a powerhead with a air hose attached to a venturi valve so that is also pumps air into the tank
You might want to look into getting a chiller.
I know, but the problem is that the lps around me only carry $300-500 chillers for large tanks. The only ones I can get too on a regular basis, which are petco and petsmart. I've haven't gotten the time to check out others like Ocean Floor.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
The sturgeon is cruising the tank in the flow, he is moving everywhere but the gravel, just going with the flow. Is this okay? I fed the tank a lot of bloodworms, then I change the tanks water (I lowered the water to 70 degrees with a air pump) before I pour it back into the tank. He ate like a pig, and now he is just swimming there, sorta like this and slightly with random intervals of increased speed slower, and barely skimming the ground, btw this is not my video just found it on youtube the displayed similar behavior to my fish

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Alright, so I unplugged the powerhead, as he was being pushed around by it in the tank, so he is just chilling on the tank glass. I upgraded one of the air pumps since I stopped the power head

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store