styrofoam under tank?

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
Saku said:
Just set up a 300 gal with the pink stuff underneath (they were out of blue). Worth the peace of mind IMO. :thumbsup:
Me too... I got the pink 3/4 it was like $12 for the 4x8..

I just finished the frame:headbang2

whodini

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
vancouver,B.C
i used 3/4 inche restruant kitchen rubber mats(can get them at rona or home depot) they have small round holes in them i fingured it was helpful for the wood to expand & contract to changing humdity & temp, and if condensation did develope it would dry quickly. I tend to over think things...............................mmmmm how would you build an earthquake talerant stand? :screwy:

TONY60

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2005
Kentucky
DiXoN said:
i would always have something between the 2 asit stops cracks developing due to imperfections in the stand or even the tank.
i actualy use a insulating piece of wooden floor underlay works even better than styrofoam
Ain't that called plywood?

jcashion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
The Cave
I never thought about using foam or anything under my tank. I built my stand, and my apt. floor sucks, and there's a slight bow in the middle. I'm going to sand it down, and put some cork or matting under it. Do you put it across the entire area of the top of the stand, even under the aquarium framing, or just under the glass?

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
jcashion - put it under the entire tank and frame:) the top of my stand is smooth and flat but the tank itself was not. the foam took up the slack:thumbsup:

qumqats

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Sacramento
gallery.outel.org
toxicfish said:
How important is it to have styrofoam between the bottom of the tank and the top of the stand? And what is the meaning for it? I see it recomended alot on aquarium sites.
I'd think it would be quite important for a Plexy tank, less so for glass.

Plexy needs even support across the entire bottom surface. You would need a sheet of something as large as the bottom of the tank.
Glass only needs the support along the plastic rim on the bottom. You could use strips of something along the bottom rim.

In either case the foam evens out the irregularities of the stand and relieves stresses.

jcashion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
The Cave
toxicfish said:
jcashion - put it under the entire tank and frame:) the top of my stand is smooth and flat but the tank itself was not. the foam took up the slack:thumbsup:
Thanks!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store