Sulking Oscar, or something more sinister?

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Hi all, I need some advice regarding my juvenile tiger Oscar. He's about 3 inches, I've had him almost 2 months now. He's been doing well since I've had him though he never took to pellets like I would have preferred. Instead, he has eaten some pellets along with frozen shrimp, krill, and bloodworms. About 2 days ago, he started acting strange. Normally he is the bully of the tank (even though he's he smallest) but he has been sitting at the bottom of the tank in the corner. Occasionally he will swim around and he has come up and ate a few pellets last night and tonight. He looks completely normal, except he seems to be clamped up? No torn fins, no scales missing, no white spots. What do you guys think could be going on? Water params are ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-10 and temp is around 80. Tank mates are an albino Oscar, roughly 4 inches, a Jack Dempsey around 3 inches, and a roughly 8 inch Lima shovelnose. Like I said, the tiger Oscar used to be the bully of the tank. He was the one who would chase the others around. Now since he's laid out I haven't seen any aggression whatsoever. Tank is a semi-planted 120 with a sand bottom. I do weekly (sometimes twice a week) water changes. My last one was this past Friday. The only thing different is I added Purigen to my canister last water change. Everyone else is fine and happy and eating well. I don't know what to do since there is no outward sign of illness. I would appreciate any advice/help! Thanks!!

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
It's probably fine, keep an eye on it. Maybe another fish took it's place as dominate fish? Similar thing happened to my Oscar when my GT took over. I moved mine out, the GT relentlessly attacked it. Oscars are funny fish sometimes. Have you moved any decor?

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
It's probably fine, keep an eye on it. Maybe another fish took it's place as dominate fish? Similar thing happened to my Oscar when my GT took over. I moved mine out, the GT relentlessly attacked it. Oscars are funny fish sometimes. Have you moved any decor?
I haven't seen anyone pick on him, but I can't watch them 24/7 so of course I can't be sure of that. I haven't moved anything, but I did add two new caves for them a couple of days ago. (They seem to like that while they're young, I know I'll have to remove them when they get big lol) and like I said sometimes he acts normal and swims around and will come up to eat a few pellets or pieces of krill, but the rest of the time he's on the bottom. He has sulked before but not quite this bad. That's why I'm confused, because I have nothing to go on.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
As long as water parameters are in check,(as stated above)it could be a dominance issue. I would just watch and see if any outward sign of disease pops up. If I had to guess, Hex is often associated with this species/genus.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
As long as water parameters are in check,(as stated above)it could be a dominance issue. I would just watch and see if any outward sign of disease pops up. If I had to guess, Hex is often associated with this species/genus.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on him. He was more active tonight than he has been in the past few days and he ate pretty well tonight. So I don't know, but im learning that oscars are little drama queens lol hopefully that's all I've got going on here. I've been racking my brain for what could be wrong and I'm at a loss. So I guess all that's left to do is wait and see what happens.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on him. He was more active tonight than he has been in the past few days and he ate pretty well tonight. So I don't know, but im learning that oscars are little drama queens lol hopefully that's all I've got going on here. I've been racking my brain for what could be wrong and I'm at a loss. So I guess all that's left to do is wait and see what happens.
I just reread your first post and I didn't notice the part about krill and shrimp, maybe its a thiaminase issue

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
I just reread your first post and I didn't notice the part about krill and shrimp, maybe its a thiaminase issue
You know, I didn't think about that either until you mentioned it. He is a picky eater and like I said, has never taken to pellets that well. He will eat a few at feedings but that's it. I guess I should switch to a white fish type food and see how he does with that? So no more shrimp or krill for a while. Wow thanks for pointing that out. I'll definitely switch up the diet and see if that helps. Everyone else in the tank eats pellets 90% of the time, so that's maybe why no one else is acting strange.And since I have nothing else to go on, I guess it won't hurt to try switching the diet and see if he improved.

Last edited:

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
I think I might try to soak his food in some liquid vitamins. Good idea or no? And if so, any recommendations for what type/brand?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I would starve him out and get him on a good pellets as a staple ( i like new life spectrum) then use the krill and shrimp as treats. You could soak the pellets in boyds vitachem. It wont take long oscars are slaves to their appetites

Also sheled green peas are good as treats too. If hes constipated it should help

Reactions: Words

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
I would starve him out and get him on a good pellets as a staple ( i like new life spectrum) then use the krill and shrimp as treats. You could soak the pellets in boyds vitachem. It wont take long oscars are slaves to their appetites

Also sheled green peas are good as treats too. If hes constipated it should help
That's what I've been trying to do, but when he started acting like this it made me worried so I started giving in again. He will eat a few pellets, so I'll just continue with that and not give any frozen foods until he is on his pellets. I've been using Hikari cichlid gold and NLS. I will try soaking in vitamins to see if that helps any.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store