Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

SUMP or CANISTER

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by MC.Arowana, Mar 11, 2012.

1. MC.Arowana

MC.Arowana MFK Members

Mar 2, 2013
      Here is a big question i know alot of you have ask but which is better? SUMP or CANISTER FILTER? im running canister but im having sec thoughts lol but what are the negatives and positive of both and which would you chose?

2. brich999

brich999 MFK Members

Mar 6, 2015
      I prefer a sump because of customization. Show me a canister that moves 5500gph, can hide my heaters and stuff and hold 60l pond matrix and I might convert.

3. rokit_armor

rokit_armor MFK Members

Jan 24, 2015
      I currently run canister, but I feel very limited. If I want more GPH, i have to buy a whole new unit instead of just a bigger pump. I have only so much space to add bio or mech filtration. Can only do submerged bio filtration, instead of wet/dry that a sump can get. Canister performance can degrade over time as mech filtration gets clogged. maintenance basically requires an entire canister teardown, which means your filtration is none during maintenance times.
      I can't wait to get my sump going.

4. CarvinSigX

CarvinSigX MFK Members

Apr 8, 2014
      In my opinion, canisters are a great thing if you use more than one or use it with a HOB.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

5. wrslrcichlid

wrslrcichlid MFK Members

Thursday at 4:26 PM
      I also like sumps. I have a sump on my 125g african cichlid tank, while my wife has a fluval canister on her 75g turtle tank. There are some things I would change about my sump if I ever make one, but it is much easier to clean and is more customizable than my wife's canister.

6. F1 VET

F1 VET THE serrasalmus rhom

Mar 16, 2015
      Depends on stock and tank size and also how much u feed and change water. For a 55-75-90-120-150 w/ medium stock a canister and a hob will suffice. Now if u have a huge tank and huge stock then either u blow 500$ on a 2-3 good canisters or buy a sump and go that route. But ive heard a few horror stories on them before, either way to very efficient ways of filtration

#1 S. Vettel

7. Oughtsix

Oughtsix MFK Members

Nov 13, 2014
      I think the major advantage to a sump is the massive amount of air/water surface area providing a huge gas exchange potential. A canister provides practically no gas exchange.

8. aclockworkorange

aclockworkorange MFK Members

Oct 27, 2014
      I've never had a problem with O2 levels in a canister driven tank. But I do prefer sumps on larger setups.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

9. MC.Arowana

MC.Arowana MFK Members

Mar 2, 2013
      hmm now im starting to think of adding a sump with my canisters lol but would a 20 high do good for a 125? and what kind of pumps would you use and how would you lay out the sump i kinda want a drip plate to it for bio balls

10. smitty03281964

smitty03281964 MFK Members

Sep 1, 2012
      Sump is better. I just never made the switch and just recently spent 150.00 for a brand new FX5. Which I swore I would never do but only did because of the deal that I got. After all that is all it is worth in my opinion.