Sump problem with dividers

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Hey guys I'm building a fluidized bed out of a 100 gallon acrylic tank. I measured and had the two pieces of acrylic cut for the chamber dividers. The problem is If I push the piece all the way to the acrylic there seems to be almost a 1/4" gap where water could pass. Is there a way to install this still. I know Weldon 4 would work for the side that is touching the acrylic but for the side with slight gap is there anything I can do?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Do you mean there is a gap on one side? Can you put a 3/8 or 1/2 inch piece of acrylic on the tank side to act as a shelf or bracket to attach the baffle to

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Hey I'm not sure what you mean let me try to explain better. I am going to have a 3 chamber sump out of a 100 gallon tank. So I have 2 pieces of acrylic that were cut to fit the width of the tank. The problem is the width of the tank is a fraction maybe 1/4 inch wider than the acrylic I had cut. I am trying to figure out If there is a way to seal this gap so water can't just flow right out

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Do you mean there is a gap on one side? Can you put a 3/8 or 1/2 inch piece of acrylic on the tank side to act as a shelf or bracket to attach the baffle to
like this.

cut another piece of acrylic 1/4" thick, glue it to the side of the sump, then glue your divider to it. or make it 1/2" if you want it to be like a door frame.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Ok so basically overlap the two pieces and weld them?
No, I think what celebrist is saying is to glue the face of a narrow piece against the face of the sump, basically making a double wall where you want the divider. The divider and the additional piece will be perpendicular to one another. If you plan to have the same water depth on both sides of the divider, you can probably split that 1/4" into an 1/8" on either side and make up the difference with silicone, or whatever adhesive you are using, because there wont really be any pressure on the joint with equal water levels on either side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store