sunfish and hybrid Identification

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
MN_Rebel;2698059; said:
However, i think im gonna cry that my little boy is growing up and learn how to identification the sunfish. This is good way for him to learn this. Dont forget about other non-lepomis species too.
i plan on getting as many as i can bass included

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Where are you getting this information from? Is this from those books you were talking about?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Oh good, im still learning how to ID these uncommon bass species (we only have two bass species in Minnesota) so show me what you get, bud!

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
every where, stuff i know, books, internet. did I write something wrong?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
MultispeciesTamer;2698208; said:
oh nothing's wrong with that, its just it looks like a copy and pasted from other website but I doubt that.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
MultispeciesTamer;2698208; said:
Nothing looks wrong so far, I was just wondering as I doubt you know the scale counts and such off the top of your head. If you are taking it from another web site I would make sure to post the original source.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
MN_Rebel;2698227; said:
oh nothing's wrong with that, its just it looks like a copy and pasted from other website but I doubt that.
most the ray counts and spines and scale counts are from sites i compare a few sites to see if numbers are the same.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
sandtiger;2698238; said:
Nothing looks wrong so far, I was just wondering as I doubt you know the scale counts and such off the top of your head. If you are taking it from another web site I would make sure to post the original source.
yeah i probly should

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Well thats good that he's learning as he sure need that stuff for his career and college classes too.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
Redear sunfish
Lepomis microlophus
other names: Shellcracker, Georgia bream, Cherry gill, Sunny, Sun perch, stumpknocker
Temp:70 to 80
Redears are mostly found in the southeastern North America, but due to stocking have expanded west word ( New Mexico) and north word (Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio)

Identification: redears from the south are generally very plan in color while northen redears tend to be a little more colorfull. red ears have either a red dot or a red lining around the ear flap. The wider the red its a male. The side of there body can reseble a pseed but they dont have the markings on the face. Eyes are red with black pupils.orange tinted breast. sometimes have dark bands down sidesof body. 9 to 11 dorsal and 3 anal spines. 10-11 dorsal, 9-11 anal, 12-14 pectoral soft rays.

Adult Average Redear
cross_redear.jpg

Adult dark Redear
RedearSunfish.jpg

Adult "Northern" more colorful Redear
redear.jpg

Juvi/baby Redear
redear 2.jpg

sites:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/sunfish/

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=32

http://www.discoverlifeinamerica.org/atbi/species/Animalia/Chordata/Actinopterygii/Perciformes/Centrarchidae/Lepomis_microlophus.shtml

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store