Sunsun brand canister filters?

ewok

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Undisclosed Location in SOCAL
Curious to know what everyone's thoughts and actual experience is with this brand... I only just started reading about it and I've seen them for sale on amazon.com so I'd like some forum opinions. They seem super cheap and possibly a great deal for an up and coming brand, but I don't trust some of the Amazon reviews and possible build quality issues. Who here has used them and can speak from experience?
Thanks.

munchie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2015
My House
I'm using it for my mom's fish tank and my fish tank at my work. It works really great for the price. made my water crystal clear haha

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Complete crap. Of 4 that were purchased by friends, all four crapped the bed within the first few months. Save your money and buy Eheim.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Complete crap. Of 4 that were purchased by friends, all four crapped the bed within the first few months. Save your money and buy Eheim.
I have 3 units going on 2 years, my friend has 4 units running well over a year, and several forum members posted they've had their units for 4+ years.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
My aquatop has been running for a year now. They work as long as you treat them kindly, but there might be some differences between the materials used in both.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
My aquatop has been running for a year now. They work as long as you treat them kindly, but there might be some differences between the materials used in both.
Nope, same material. Aquatop is just a rebrand for the North American market....and different packaging design is always a good excuse to significantly increase the MSRP

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
That's what I assumed, I just didn't want to be responsible for any undesirable results. If all is the same then what I said applies, just make sure you take proper care of them and you will be fine. They are hard to beat price-performance wise, I wouldn't overfill it with media either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store