Surface "pancake" ID? Edible?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Just looking for a quick ID, as this stuff has a habit of taking-over client ponds - this is my own yard, thus it's alright to loo a little haphazard :)

It's been great for hiding bad masonry & for water-quality (I expect). Now, if it's edible I might even be able to convince the gardeners to actually clip it back to a non-takeover level/amount.

Is there a fish that would eat this stuff & big/fuzzy-leaf duckweed & filamentous plants without eating the prized lilies?
The importer's saying he's got Uaru, but I'm not sure I can "sell" the client on a big brown fish, cute as their expression might be through glass... Filament barb would be an easier sell, but IME unpredictable in their plant-destruction.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Uaru will eat anything green, likely up to and including green construction paper and dried paint chips. They love duckweed, although the varieties of duckweed I have grown are about as "fuzzy" as my bald pate.

esoxlucius esoxlucius has Filament Barbs...

How about Giant Gourami (Osphronemus)?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
The taller plant looks like Hydrocotyle of some sort (possibly verticillata) and the fuzzy duckweed will be Salvinia natans.
Now as for what would eat it but not the lillies, filament barbs might still be a little small, and in my experience the furry nature of Salvinia is there to deter it from being eaten. A bigger group of them might work but again, I would expect filament barbs to look quite plain from above. Might need something bigger as jjohnwm jjohnwm says such as giant white gourami, koi, or the bigger barbs like lemon fin or tinfoil but not even sure what they would look like from above. Koi can of course be hit and miss with lillies unless they are well established.
I am sure there are other options we are missing.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
ThanksThanks
Plant's been ID'd as Whorled Pennywort as Fishman Dave Fishman Dave suggests (thanks), and yes, edible - the younger leaves do actually have a refreshing celery thing going on, I've taken to crazing one-one as I walk pass the pond on the way to downstairs office = there's my servings of leafy-greens, tell my cardiologist ;)

There are half-dozen+ red-fin tinnies in there now, fat like softballs. They are not impacting the plants, though they've got a lot fo growing left to do. We'll discuss the feeding regime today, as the plant-productivity is going to be partially related to feed-fertilizing, as will be the over-fat tinnies not impacting those plants.
Giant Gourami's on the wish-list, but I've not seen imported nor on the importer-list yet. There was one collected in a wild pond some years ago that I got called to ID, and there was one on a hotel pond 20yrs ago... but I've not seen since.
Urau sounds like it will preferentially eat the lily under Murphy's Law.
Koi give me hives, and they don't thrive in these temperatures - rarely do these ponds get below ~27C.
Filament barb is locally bred & so readily available, is why I bring them up. That blue-hue iridescence can be lovely in the sunshine in the tank, though I've not seen in a sunny pond. My worry is that they'd breed & overgraze - with these systems once something goes in, you can't get it out again. Maybe my excuse to introduce clown-loach & jag cichlid... "there was an old woman who swallowed a fly"

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
IMG_0677.jpeg
Hydrocotyl grows wild here in Panama, I've tried it a number of times in my tanks, with a modicum of success.
I have seen in grow in large swaths in the Crystal River in Florida, and wanted a similar swath in my tanks, but it didn't happen.
The first time I pulled some from Lake Gatun and it basically melted away with time.
IMG_1983.jpeg
Above and below in Lake Gatun in tandem with water Hyacinth.
IMG_2192.jpeg
Below, I tried to plant it in the substrate of my 180. but I think the light didn't penetrate the depth well enough.
IMG_2275.jpeg
Its interesting that long ago it was used medicinally to treat high blood pressure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store