Switching out filters?

guru101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2013
Hudson,FL
Hey everyone,

I have a 75 gallon tank with an Oscar(9-10") and a Raphael catfish about ("8) that is running 2 ehiem 2217's and a fluval 406. I am about to put up a 55 gallon and was wondering if it would have a dramatic effect on the 75 if I removed the fluval and used it on the 55 without adding another filter to the 75. Just not sure if I would still be ok on the 75 for filtration. Also I feel like this would make for an easy transition as it should seed the new tank allowing fish to be added same day. I want to be sure on that before getting it up and adding fish right away. Was planning on a jack Dempsey or firemouth pair in the 55. Appreciate any advice and input.

Ty

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
You should be fine. The 2 eheim 2217's on the 75 is good. I wouldn't worry. Do a big water change, vacuum, and clean out the canisters for peace of mind. If you want you can get a good sponge filter (like an ATI Hydro) going on your tank for extra measure. But it's not needed. Your straight.

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think you'll be fine. May take a few weeks for the 2217's to catch up bio wise. Test your water and feed lightly.

Also would depend on how much bio you have in them. Allot and your good

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I used to run 2 2217's on a 125. You're fine with 2 on a 75.

guru101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2013
Hudson,FL
Ok ty. Will the fluval be enough to seed the 55? Been up n running on the 75 for 2 years + or around that.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
You should be fine. The 2 eheim 2217's on the 75 is good. I wouldn't worry. Do a big water change, vacuum, and clean out the canisters for peace of mind. If you want you can get a good sponge filter (like an ATI Hydro) going on your tank for extra measure. But it's not needed. Your straight.

The only thing here I'd disagree with is to clean only 1 of the 2217's, just as insurance. Leave one dirty for at least 30 days just incase...

We all usually have more bio than we need, but I've found (in my experience only, not harping on anyone) that just as soon as we think we've got it all figured out, stuff that doesn't make sense(ammo spikes, etc, when we could all SWEAR you have more than enough BB) happens... YMMV --- Murphy's law is ALWAYS IN AFFECT....

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
The only thing here I'd disagree with is to clean only 1 of the 2217's, just as insurance. Leave one dirty for at least 30 days just incase...

We all usually have more bio than we need, but I've found (in my experience only, not harping on anyone) that just as soon as we think we've got it all figured out, stuff that doesn't make sense(ammo spikes, etc, when we could all SWEAR you have more than enough BB) happens... YMMV --- Murphy's law is ALWAYS IN AFFECT....
I'd clean both. Reduces organics. I didn't say wash it all out with hot water. Lol. All that's coming out of his system is gunk. That way it will have less waste in his system and the bacteria can build up to capacity, without having to deal with the excess waste/organics all at once.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store