Tadpole Serendipity! (Would someone be able to ID him?)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It's unlikely that an endangered frog species will spawn in a hatchery goldfish ponds. It appears to be your typical leopard frog. The two others might be a bullfrog.

Lil' Jenny

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Vegas
Not that it matters too much since he appears to be banned now? ( Frank Castle Frank Castle ) .... But for future readers of this thread, I did some real in-depth research about different types of leopard frogs. It's almost near impossible to tell apart different types of leopard frogs. There are 14 different species of leopard frogs as well as tons of other sub-species. They're even still finding new types of leopard frogs! As it turns out the Ramsey Canyon, the Chiricahua, and the Vegas Valley frog are actually the same frogs.
I found these reads to be a little more helpful than just a wiki article...
A really brief reading about the Chiricahua
A draft of the Recovery Act
A Q&A on the Recovery Act

(The Recovery Act was incredibly long but it was definitely a good and informative read.)
Those of you who are also interested in finding out if a frog you also happened come across is one of the Chiricahua leopard frogs I found out you can contact a Technical Subgroup member of the Recovery Team, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, your local State Game and Fish Office, or a qualified biologist who is permitted to survey for Chiricahua leopard frogs. If they're identified as an endangered leopard frogs, you should contact a Recovery Team member in the List of Contacts (page 130) of the Recovery Act.

I never looked into it further about what exact species mine was because unfortunately for me my beautiful baby leopard frog pulled a Houdini... I had read frogs are master escape artists but I seriously underestimated him. My boyfriend and I had work that morning but we found him later that night. He had already passed away, though... I believe he would've been fine normally but he somehow managed to make his way into a plastic bag on the floor, crawled into the very corner of it, and I'm assuming suffocated?? I was completely devastated.....

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE THOUGH
My baby bullfrog siblings are doing wonderfully. We moved them into a bigger more secure tank and they seem to love it. Here's a pic of them hanging out together!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Not that it matters too much since he appears to be banned now? ( Frank Castle Frank Castle ) .... But for future readers of this thread, I did some real in-depth research about different types of leopard frogs. It's almost near impossible to tell apart different types of leopard frogs. There are 14 different species of leopard frogs as well as tons of other sub-species. They're even still finding new types of leopard frogs! As it turns out the Ramsey Canyon, the Chiricahua, and the Vegas Valley frog are actually the same frogs.
I found these reads to be a little more helpful than just a wiki article...
A really brief reading about the Chiricahua
A draft of the Recovery Act
A Q&A on the Recovery Act

(The Recovery Act was incredibly long but it was definitely a good and informative read.)
Those of you who are also interested in finding out if a frog you also happened come across is one of the Chiricahua leopard frogs I found out you can contact a Technical Subgroup member of the Recovery Team, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, your local State Game and Fish Office, or a qualified biologist who is permitted to survey for Chiricahua leopard frogs. If they're identified as an endangered leopard frogs, you should contact a Recovery Team member in the List of Contacts (page 130) of the Recovery Act.

I never looked into it further about what exact species mine was because unfortunately for me my beautiful baby leopard frog pulled a Houdini... I had read frogs are master escape artists but I seriously underestimated him. My boyfriend and I had work that morning but we found him later that night. He had already passed away, though... I believe he would've been fine normally but he somehow managed to make his way into a plastic bag on the floor, crawled into the very corner of it, and I'm assuming suffocated?? I was completely devastated.....

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE THOUGH
My baby bullfrog siblings are doing wonderfully. We moved them into a bigger more secure tank and they seem to love it. Here's a pic of them hanging out together!
nice to see people still do research :D

Reactions: Lil' Jenny
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store