Taking your own trout eggs. Question

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
Hi all. Totally new to this forum and website. I wanted to kick start an old hobby of sorts. Raising trout from eggs or 1" jobbers and stocking in our pond and stream.

So I have 2000 Brown trout in a 275G IBC tote. Started from eyed eggs, they are now 3" long in roughly 3 months. Keeping them in 60F water with 250G per hour flow rate out of the stream. I treat the water before it enters tank with a simple UV filter. Then a bio filter is the last thing before entering the tank just for kicks and giggles. I wanted something more even though it is a open circuit.

Question. I now would like to start raising a few 3 yr old fish in my 5,000 Gallon tank and start taking my own eggs .

Has anyone on here done that? Is it real hard? I mean for $100 I can get 1000 eyed eggs anyway but most of that is overnight shipping. Just wanted to try it.

Thanks for any insight.

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
Unfortunately I can't answer your question but I would love to see some pictures of your set up

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
WHAT? You can't answer my question? MAN ! LOL Sure I can go get some photos. I might get the 5,000 gallon jobber up and running using stream water with a UV and larger bio filter, not sure yet though.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Get in touch with a hatchery. Not sure of age at maturity for Brown's, but 3 years may be early. Temp will be the big factor for conditioning them for spawning (fall spawners). Should be lots of info on the net. You may need a permit too from your state fish and wildlife, especially where you are planning/using an open system.

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
So I found a semi local private hatchery who is going to show me how to take eggs and also sell me 3 pairs of brood fish and some eyed eggs. So I will take my eggs and adults home with me in September. Pretty cool.

Reactions: gangster

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
So I found a semi local private hatchery who is going to show me how to take eggs and also sell me 3 pairs of brood fish and some eyed eggs. So I will take my eggs and adults home with me in September. Pretty cool.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Good luck.
Sounds like a dream project for me.
It would be so cool to have two ponds with a nice stream that was controlled by pumps to regulate the flow in between the two ponds. You could mimic seasons etc.
I would make a fishing paradise for throwing flies. WOuld love to see some pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store