Tank resealing w/no silicon at all- 1700 Gallons

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Well, i put in new lights... I'm running about 20, 15ft 300LED 5050 light strips. I'm running these off two 600watt solid state power supplies, and one 100watt one for a single strip that is the primary light. The other strips only get turned on when I'm actively tank watching. These replaced 3 regular shop light fixtures that had aquarium bulbs in them as the primary light and a 600watt HI sodium light as the backup. These old fixtures created a lot of heat in the tank that I found out was responsible for all the humidity in the upper part of the tank. Everything was always wet because of it and mold was an issue. With out this extra heat everything stays dry now. And they look much better too.

I'm also in the process of setting up more fry refuges in the tank. If you watch any little tight spot in the tank long enough you can see tiny fish everywhere like plankton. But none of them ever reach adulthood in the tank except live bearers like mollies and platies. So I'm making more places that give them a chance. What I'm working on now is to use those square grass mats and form them together into boxes and attach several of these together and them wrap them in more loose types of plastic plants.. all held together with zip ties. The finished deal is a hollow structure that only tiny fish can get in and out of and floats around the tank. I'm hoping a couple of these will make a difference.

That's about it really as far as anything new.

I'll get some pictures this weekend and maybe a video. I have to clean the windows first.
The 5050 led chipset will not give you the correct light penetration for a tank that is as deep as yours is. A cheaper/better alternative might have been a few single 50 watt chipset floodlights. They make floodlights with 4 x 50 watt chips.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
How is the tank?

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Its doing ok. I haven't done anything with it for probably a year. Unfortunately that includes cleaning the windows. Its actually not that bad which is why I haven't bothered. Throw food in once or twice a day and clean one of the two canisters once a month, which is also the water change.

So monthly maintenance is less than 30 minutes. Except I really should clean the windows more than I do.

No new fish, but lost some. One of my two big Pearsei's died and I lost a chocolate cichlid. That's about it.

Here are a couple pictures with all the lights on.. you still can't really see the algae on the windows.. this is with 40 LED bulbs on..usually there are only 4 on during the day unless I'm actively fish watching. And it needs a top off, water level is down several inches.

Not sure why these aren't displaying..

Last edited:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
looks great man.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Lookin good! glad to see shes still holdin strong. Sounds like u need a new specimen to reignite ur fish spirits...i wager a red tail giant gourami :) u wont be disapointed.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Thanks man. I'll try to get some better picts tomorrow morning. That's the routine, a morning feeding. Thats when the loaches will all come out of the rock along with most of the smaller fish too. Some of my clowns are finally getting pretty big. There are a few yoyo loaches that are huge for their size, like maybe around 7 inches. They outgrew most my slow growing clown loaches. There is still a small school of green corys that seem bullet proof... I don't think any have ever died, the original school all present and at least 6 years old now. Its hit or miss whether or not you'll ever see them though. Sometimes it can be months before seeing a fish or a whole school before they come out again. The same for a couple weather loaches that are pretty big too.. maybe about 8 inches and as fat as a nickel. I might see them a couple times a month which I kinda think is neat. They just do their thing...

There are still old schools of really small fish like gold barbs and tetras that just won't die either. Much smaller schools now though.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Lookin good! glad to see shes still holdin strong. Sounds like u need a new specimen to reignite ur fish spirits...i wager a red tail giant gourami :) u wont be disapointed.

Thanks. Yeah, have to admit the interest waned a bit. Used to sit at least a couple hours every night before going to bed... not so much anymore. This is how I do... 110% into a new hobby... now I'm onto the next hobby. You don't want to know...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store