Tank smell

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Carbon is a good way of removing odors but it won't solve the root of the problem. Use carbon for a short term solution but I would increase filtration and/or water changes. A healthy tank shouldn't have a strong odor, if at all. IMO
Very true! I don't smell anything with my tanks even if I stick my nose over my tank water surface, and I don't even use carbon or purigen hehehe

Reactions: Oxymus

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Just more water changes. None of my tanks smell.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
If your tank smells your either feeding to much and food is not eaten and rotting or you need to step up your water changes

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
As already stated, there's something that you're not doing that is causing a strong smell. Poor filtration and lack of adequate water change is typically the main cause. I don't use activated carbon nor any of the manufactured chemical aide and none of my tanks have an offensive smell, but rather just an "earthy" smell if you put your nose right over the water.

There was one time when one of my tank did have a foul smell.I discovered it was from some of the pellets getting splashed up, during feeding frenzies, and collecting between the glass covers and tank frame/brace. Once I wiped that clean, no more smell.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If u use prime that also makes a bad smell
Before I was on well water, I used to use Prime. While the odor coming out of the bottle smelled like rotten eggs, once it went into the tank, no smell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store