Tank/stand overhang

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
PufferFace11;4821250; said:
As soon as i go pick up the fish i want tom ill take some photos and post them up :)

Nice job! I know it was a pain to get the piece of plywood, but long term, it will work out much better for you.

I take it your tank isn't set up yet? I noticed you're getting fish tomorrow. Are you aware of the tank cycling procedures?

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Naa i dont mind running to the store, i was in and out, nice and quick.

I appreciate you letting me know about the plywood, its def gonna work out much better with the ply.

Yep i know about tank cycling, im actually getting the tank from a friend who has had the tank for over a year, its already cycled obviously.

I picked up some API water conditioner so i shouldnt need anything else immediately right???

Im also going to be using the same bio-filters that are already on the tank, so all the good bacteria is already built up.

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Got my tank up and running and im SOOOO happy :headbang2

I took one pic as i only have a Pleco in the tank until tomorrow.

U can see him right under the plant on the left.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Nice job :) Yeah, that looks to be pretty stable. I can see why you asked the question though...I would have been nervous having that much overhang unsupported.

You could always get some brush on paint and carefully paint the plywood around the tank. It would look more complete that way. Even black to match your tank would look good.

All in all, nice job! The tank looks good :)

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Thanks bro i appreciate it.

Yea this was just to get everything up and running, im probably gonna stain the part of the plywood thats visible the same shade as the stand/table.

Im just really pumped that everything is up and running and i cant wait to get some more fish to add.

Im gonna pick up 2 Red Parrot's on Tues or Wens.

Id really like to add a FW Puffer but since their aggressive they will more than likely attack my Parrots correct???

Once i get them in the tank ill def take a few more pix :)

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
AQUAMONSTER;4820933; said:
ive seen somone put a 20 gallon long on a 10 gallon stnad. That may be too much. what you could do is get a piece of plywood cut a little longer than the tank and put that on top of the stand
x2

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
PufferFace11;4822559; said:
Id really like to add a FW Puffer but since their aggressive they will more than likely attack my Parrots correct???
I assume that all Puffers are aggressive, but to be honest, I really don't know. I have 3 dwarfs in my brackish tank, but I know nothing of FW Puffers. You might want to ask PufferPunk...the MFK resident Puffer expert.

You did a great job getting your tank set up! It's awesome knowing you went the few extra steps to insure you had a sturdy tank and now you're checking into compatability of your tank mates :)

Keep up the good work!

PufferFace11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
New York
Thanks again Darnell.

Im def gonna get in contact with PufferPunk and see what info he can give me.

I really do wanna make sure everything is correct and my tankmates are all compatible.

Im gonna pick up a API Master Test Kit tomorrow in order to test my water and i plan on doing 20% water changes every other day for the next week/week and a half.

Is there anything else u would recommend me doing or purchasing???

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
I think you got it all under control. Pufferpunk..."she" will be able to help you out with the Puffers, but I am pretty sure the advice is going to recommend against mixing.

Nice job all the way around. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums!

Ssteiner7

Feeder Fish
Apr 20, 2021
Id personally rather not have to put any plywood down but if its gonna make a huge difference than i will.

But more than likely the 2 and a half inch overhang wont cause any issues is the consensus???
Further on that I got a 55 gallon that hangs off one side about 6 inches If someone could get back to me on that that would be helpful hasn't caused any problems so far but definitely don't need 55 gallons of water leaking all over if the tank were to break

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store