Tankmates for German blue rams in 55 gallon tank

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
I have kept kribensis with rams and Kribensis is larger and will over power ram. Hondurus red point belongs to convict familty, and is only peaceful relative to big CAs. Rams don't look good unless they are in charge, and the choice of other cichlid tankmates is limited. Apistogramma and cupid cichlid will work, and so are angels and discus which don't compete for the same territory.
HRP's are similar to convicts but not in the same genus. I keep my honduran red points with swordtails with zero issue. They are no where near as aggressive as a convict ime.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Have a look at Honduran red points, they're one of the more peaceful CA's and you can house two pairs in my opinion in a 55 if there is decent line of sight. They turn a nice blue just make sure you get some sp. Rio Danli as these are the true ones. Males will normally reach about 4" females 3" with the possibility of an extra inch on each sex. If you chose these I would get in contact with a trusted breeder to get a pure strain you don't want any that are crossbred with convicts. Jeff Rapps at Tangled Up In Cichlids has some.
So after doing a fair bit of research on the red points, I find myself attracted to both the hybrid and the original. Now I assume the hybrid is at least half as aggressive as regular convicts (please correct me if I'm wrong), so they are pretty much out. The original looks awesome, but I am not sure I want to pay another $100-150 to get fish shipped to me. I prefer to not ship where possible. I will definitely keep these in mind though. Maybe see if my LFS can get them in stock. People on this forum make great suggestions and its making me realize my LFSs are not able to get much of anything unusual or outside the norm as far as fish keeping goes. They are better than Petsmart in care and variety, but not by much.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
So after doing a fair bit of research on the red points, I find myself attracted to both the hybrid and the original. Now I assume the hybrid is at least half as aggressive as regular convicts (please correct me if I'm wrong), so they are pretty much out. The original looks awesome, but I am not sure I want to pay another $100-150 to get fish shipped to me. I prefer to not ship where possible. I will definitely keep these in mind though. Maybe see if my LFS can get them in stock. People on this forum make great suggestions and its making me realize my LFSs are not able to get much of anything unusual or outside the norm as far as fish keeping goes. They are better than Petsmart in care and variety, but not by much.

I think with a convict x hrp it's really a toss up on aggression you could get the side of either, but with the rams do you truly want to risk it? The hrp's themselves aren't bad it's 38.50 for 6 then whatever shipping is. But I'm sure there are other vendors of them, when mine have babies I'd be willing to give it a shot shipping to you, you'd just have to pay for shipping. If you'd like I'll post some pictures tonight of mine they are around 2" and coloring up nicely. As far as your fish store if you try to go through them make sure they are getting from a reputable source. Also make sure they are not a. siquia Rio Mongo.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I have kept kribensis with rams and Kribensis is larger and will over power ram. Hondurus red point belongs to convict familty, and is only peaceful relative to big CAs. Rams don't look good unless they are in charge, and the choice of other cichlid tankmates is limited. Apistogramma and cupid cichlid will work, and so are angels and discus which don't compete for the same territory.
Yeah. I kept kribs a few years ago and they just get so brutal when they spawn. They killed all 15 of the cherry barbs I had in the 30 gallon tank with them over the course of about 2-3 days. And I means killed....not eaten. LOL I was fishing body parts out for several days.

I am just going to wait and see what this fish club has to offer before I go filling the tank with anything. I might get lucky and find a local breeder with cupids or keyholes. Or maybe even cockatoo apistos or angels. I might chance discus if I could get them while they are relatively young and cheap. A local discus breeder would almost guarantee strong discus who would not be as sensitive as distributor ones.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I think with a convict x hrp it's really a toss up on aggression you could get the side of either, but with the rams do you truly want to risk it? The hrp's themselves aren't bad it's 38.50 for 6 then whatever shipping is. But I'm sure there are other vendors of them, when mine have babies I'd be willing to give it a shot shipping to you, you'd just have to pay for shipping. If you'd like I'll post some pictures tonight of mine they are around 2" and coloring up nicely. As far as your fish store if you try to go through them make sure they are getting from a reputable source. Also make sure they are not a. siquia Rio Mongo.
No, I don't want to risk it. It's one of the reasons I am asking so many questions and coming up with tons of ideas for people to either shoot down or agree with. I want something that is appealing to me, but that comes with little to no risk. And even if its appealing, if it has too much risk, I won't go through with it.

I would love to see some pics of your HRPs. And if you breed them, I would be willing to pay for shipping to get a few if I haven't found something else by then (or maybe have a new tank with room and compatibility).

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
I'll be home in a few hours, will gladly post some pics for ya. You can keep a pair in a smaller tank I'd say 30g even if you decide on something else for now. I expect them to be to breeding size in the next 4-6 weeks.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I'll be home in a few hours, will gladly post some pics for ya. You can keep a pair in a smaller tank I'd say 30g even if you decide on something else for now. I expect them to be to breeding size in the next 4-6 weeks.
Awesome. My LFS says the earliest they get keyholes in wont be for another 8-10 weeks and they have never seen rainbows or true HRPs on their list of available fish to order. I attend the first fish club meeting in 2 weeks, but its a big plant auction, so I don't think there will be fish sold this meeting. The next meeting won't be for 6 weeks from now and I don't even know if there will be anything I like there. So honestly you will probably have fry available before I can get ahold of anything else. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store