Tarantula Keepers?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I'm sure there are plenty of people keeping T's around here. I'd love to see your collections.

I just got into the hobby a few weeks ago. After quite literally months of research, I went out and bought my first T, a ~2.5" Brachypelma albopilosum. I've named her Linda... really hoping she is actually female, as the guy at my LFS claimed (it seemed as though he drew this conclusion just by looking at her from above, and I can't find any viable method of sexing such a young spider that way, so I have my doubts...).

I already feel myself starting to get addicted... I'm trying to get ahold of a B. smithi now, but my LFS said they don't know when they'll be getting in another order of spiders, so last week I drove a few miles to the next closest store I know of that carries species other than rosea, and they said they would try and order one for me, and they'd give me a call when/if they get one in. So I'm just waiting at this point.

Anyway, if you have T's of your own, please share your pics, experiences, setups, and anything else you might have to discuss. :)

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
By the way, if anyone has some idea of what her true sex might be from the first couple pics, please do share your opinions.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've never kept any tarantulas but I would like to have Goliath Bird Eater some day.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I've never kept any tarantulas but I would like to have Goliath Bird Eater some day.
T. blondi are beautiful spiders, but I think they'd be too much for me to handle, personally. Bitey nature, nasty urticating hairs, enormous size. I can't help but think of the fiasco that would ensue if a spider like that escaped its enclosure. Lol. I'd love to have a Lasiodora parahybana though. Similar size but nowhere near the temperament.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'll have to look into that one as well.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This one is really nice looking;do you know anything sbout it?
images.jpg

Reactions: bignootch

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Haplopelma lividum, Cobalt blue tarantula. Extremely aggressive, very fast, and very potent venom. That's one species whose bite will probably result in a hospital visit. Lol.

A good alternative is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, the Greenbottle Blue tarantula. They're said to be really docile, and they look equally stunning. :D

Reactions: bignootch

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
At one time in the 90's I was pretty into T's. I had a male Goliath, an Ornamental (Poecilotheria regalis), King Baboon, and an OBT. The OBT got loose once and it was quite the fiasco trying to catch it, very fast and very bitey!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store