Tarantula Keepers?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
used to have alot of b smithis, coasta rican zebra knees, obts, suntigers, gbbs signapore blues, p regalis, skeleton knees
babycurus jacksioni, desert hairys scorps , emperors and az bark scorps back when i was keeping them i had around 80 tarantulas and 60 scorpions also had some babycurus jacksioni to have some babies from 3 different females they came in gravid and gave birth shortly after arriving also kept giant vinegaroones over the years too
Nice! I don't see how people can keep track of every individual's needs in a such large collections. I downloaded an app on my phone just so I'll be able to keep track of my four T's. Lol

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Anastasia at net-bug.net was so awesome to deal with. Here are my new acquisitions, which arrived this afternoon (just in time for me to get them unpackaged and snap a few pics before I went to work).

Aphonopelma chalcodes, ~4" female
received_851987674889545.jpeg
received_851988818222764.jpeg

Brachypelma smithi, ~2-2.5" female
received_851985938223052.jpeg

And finally, the little 1" Brachypelma albiceps female
received_851986421556337.jpeg

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I really can't wait until the albiceps grows up to look like this beauty. I know it will be at least a 3 year wait, to get to that point though.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I got it bad but my brother though, my god when he was in class they showed a show on spiders and tarantulas in biology and he passed out lol
Lol I just can't see anything frightening about tarantulas, aside from the temperament of some of them... I'll admit, I was a little intimidated by the fangs when I handled my B. albopilosum for the first time, and before I handle them, I do always give my Ts a gentle nudge with something other than my fingers just to make sure they know I'm there and they aren't feeling defensive (or hungry).

I think the fuzz, the coloration, and the slow movement (in some species) just makes them a lot less intimidating than other spiders. Though at the same time, I do sort of feel like my tarantulas are making me become a little bit more comfortable with spiders in general.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Here's my collection: EDIT, I can't get the pictures to show up

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Anastasia at net-bug.net was so awesome to deal with. Here are my new acquisitions, which arrived this afternoon (just in time for me to get them unpackaged and snap a few pics before I went to work).

Aphonopelma chalcodes, ~4" female

Brachypelma smithi, ~2-2.5" female

And finally, the little 1" Brachypelma albiceps female
All but the chalcodes are really too small to be definitively sexed. The smithi could, by an experienced eye, but that albiceps is far too small.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
All but the chalcodes are really too small to be definitively sexed. The smithi could, by an experienced eye, but that albiceps is far too small.
They were received as sexed females from Anastasia at Net-Bug.net, who is very well reputed and highly regarded in the hobby. I trust her abilities until shown evidence to the contrary. I've never heard such a thing as "too small to sex."

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
They were received as sexed females from Anastasia at Net-Bug.net, who is very well reputed and highly regarded in the hobby. I trust her abilities until shown evidence to the contrary. I've never heard such a thing as "too small to sex."
I've heard good reviews, but it's still interesting to me that they're sexed this young. I haven't ever seen anything available listed as female, unless it's over 2"

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
B. smithi is definitely living up to the reputation of her species so far. She'll flick her urticating bristles if I so much as remove the lid of her enclosure. Lol. I hope she mellows out after a few molts.

I've heard good reviews, but it's still interesting to me that they're sexed this young. I haven't ever seen anything available listed as female, unless it's over 2"
From what I've read, it just requires a microscope and experienced eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store