tea time in the aquarium

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I bet we've all been through it. Watched alarmingly as the greedier fish in your tank mop up all the food before the slower, less aggressive fish get a look in. Then you start questioning whether all your fish are getting their fair share. I have 4 tinfoil barbs, amongst others, and those of you who have these fish will probably be nodding your heads already. They are dustbins with fins, i can't describe them in any other way. Then i got thinking, which aquarium fish would hold the crown for the gut bucket of the aquarium world. Tinfoils are pretty much up there but i bet there's worse.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I guess pound for pound a Gulper may win? Since the fish eat the food, but then the gulper just eats said fish along with the food inside of it...

Reactions: jaws7777

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
I have a warmouth who'll stuff himself until he's bulging, but he eventually stops. Seems like most fish have a point where they just can't cram anything down their maw any further.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned frogfish so far. They're basically just stomachs with fins. A frogfish will swallow just about any fish that isn't at least twice their length, and they'll sit with half a fish hanging out of their mouth until the part in their stomach digests and they can swallow the rest.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I found that my rainbow fish were pigs when put with other fish but weren't when that didn't have competition.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I swear to god i'm expecting to come home from work one day and find that all my substrates gone! Sat there anchored to the bottom of the tank will be my fat tinfoils with big smiles on their faces. No wonder they're one of the fastest growing fish. PS. That frog fish sounds a bit of a nightmare, haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store