Texas chiclid with other South American chiclids

brittlebonez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2022
So I work at a fish store and we had someone donate a large Texas chiclid he looks amazing but we want to clear up the tank for other fish I was thinking about bringing him home to my 210 gallon tank which I have 4 large Oscar’s with a green terror and a Jack Dempsey everything in the tank has been there two years would it be ok to put the Texas chiclid in. I’ve never owned one before I see they are compatible but at the 2 year mark would that be safe the tank is about 6 feet long

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Another little tidbit, the Texas, and JD are not S Americans, and come from totally different water types than real South Americans.
The oscars and GTs are soft water, lower pH S American species(7 or below).
The Herichthys (Texas) is from the US and Mexico and the Rocio (JD) from Mexico .both North Americans, and come from hard high pH water 7.5 and above
images.jpeg

Reactions: Mazan and tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just a side note, the largest GT I have personally seen, a monster of a fish with a nuchal hump hump to match - spent his entire life in hard water, that varied between a pH of 7.8-8.2.

In this scenario, pH values aren’t going to be the issue…..

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Personally I wouldn’t keep anything beyond a pair of Oscars in that tank, and would still do large frequent water changes.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This is an interesting scenario: an already over-crowded tank...containing some large established adults of potentially aggressive cichlids...which have very different water chemistry requirements...and the intent is to introduce yet another large cichlid, of a species that is likely the most aggressive of the bunch.

There are so many ways for this to go south that the situation practically cries out for a pool; $10 per spot? What will cause the first disaster?

My money is on territorial aggression; I think that will be much more immediate than elevated nitrates or long-term pH/hardness incompatibility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store