The Marmokreb Experiment

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I've been meaning to get these guys into a proper setup for a while now. They were sitting in a cold tank in my unheated basement and haven't been doing much by way of cloning. Fingers crossed that a little heat and clean water does the trick. There are 4 adults, 2 of which are holding eggs at the moment. Let's see how fast these things colonize.

Anyone else keep these self cloning crayfish as feeders?image.jpeg

Reactions: HarleyK

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I tried it for a bit. Was taking too long so I fed them off. Couldn't justify the tank space at that time.

I've been thinking about getting them again though. Have more space now.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I had some a few years ago. Tried raising some to feed to my rays, but found it took too long to grow them out to be worth while. If you have multiple tanks set up it may work better, but I didn't have the space to do it.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I've been meaning to get these guys into a proper setup for a while now. They were sitting in a cold tank in my unheated basement and haven't been doing much by way of cloning. Fingers crossed that a little heat and clean water does the trick. There are 4 adults, 2 of which are holding eggs at the moment. Let's see how fast these things colonize.

Anyone else keep these self cloning crayfish as feeders?View attachment 1168879
:eek: where is the meat ?

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
:eek: where is the meat ?
Hiding! I'm trying to intervene as little as humanly possible with these guys. I envision checking on them in a few months and being inundated with feeders. My dats go absolutely crazy for crayfish so I hope this proves a viable and continuous food source.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I've kept marmorkrebs for years. Breed like crazy. Biggest problem is that if you have too many, they will cannibalize the ones that are molting. If you want a lot, remove the babies and let them grow in another tank.

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I've kept marmorkrebs for years. Breed like crazy. Biggest problem is that if you have too many, they will cannibalize the ones that are molting. If you want a lot, remove the babies and let them grow in another tank.
Do you still have any J joe jaskot ? I'd like to get a few more adults.

bland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2015
I'm starting out breedng them as feeders. Purchased 3 large ones and 2 were berried. Have about 20 babies growing now. One of the adults died mid molt, and another escaped the tank. The last adult is doing well and I hope she will berry up again soon. I figure by June all the babies should berry up also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store