THQ

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
This means that a 5" gourami should be measured in this manner,
length overall (5"),
thickness, (1/2"),
height, (2 1/2"),
so for this fish you multiply the following, 5x 1/2x 2 1/2, this gives you a total of 6 1/4 gallons of water.
A 5" long gourami should not go into a 6G tank lol.

Just use aqadvisor. So much easier and probably more accurate than measuring your swimming fish in 3 dimensions.

Reactions: convict360

Swampgorilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2016
I always wonder ... "where did these "rules" come from?" ... "who came up with them?" and ... "what science actually went into "devining" them?"

I think they are probably better defined as "guildlines" rather than "rules". I am a Goldfishkeeper and they tell us not to use the "inch rule" ... there are other "rules" they say we should use. For instance ... 20 gallons for the first fish, 10 for each after.

But this is inadequate for me ... I don't like to change water but once a week and, when I do - i don't want it to be so dirty it HAS to be changed. For me, 30 to 40 gallons PER fish works better. So the "rules" don't apply to me ... I'm too lazy to change water more often than that.

Other people may find every three days is fine for them ... and stock appropriately.

Every time I see a video of a chinese goldfish breeder ... he has amazing fish and doesn't seem to be following any "rules" for stocking. Obviously many use things like a perpetual water changing system ...

So "rules" don't (and can't) take into account atypical equipment ... nor can they really take into account the level of dedication to water changes for each individual fish keeper.

tbear6410

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Syracuse
When I worked at a Pet Supply Store in the Fish Dept., I was always told to do the inch of fish per gallon of water.. This is because we had people wanting to put 20 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank... Or the one guy who called me saying all his Oscars died and wanted to know the reason... Wally World told this guy he could put 5 Oscars in a 10 gallon tank... I told him that was the reason....
Salt Fish was said to be a inch of fish per 2 gallons of water... I would just say "See the adult size? Double that for a tank... if it gets up to 10 inches, put it in a 20 gallon tank."
No one ever listened and would always bring back dead fish...

And yes.... I hated that Corporate made us over stock the tanks...

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
10" fish in a 20g aint a good ideal. good size for a 10" fish is a 75 or 95 tall.

tbear6410

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Syracuse
Try having someone come up to you saying they want "Nemo" fish... 2 of them... then ask how big of a tank and they show you a empty goldfish bowl.... Face palm to the forehead..

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
lol, I could never work in a fish store.

Taso1

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2016
1" per gallon rules good for beginners. allows them some sort of guideline. Otherwise it really depends on filtration & water change schedule.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Besides, we're /\/\onsterfishkeepers.

Here, it's foot per cubic yard!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com