The Pout-Pout Fish

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
My oscar, Spooky, might just be the Pout-Pout fish, and he's spreading dreary-wearies all over the place...

Has anyone ever seen an oscar with such a pouty lip?? He is the first oscar I have ever kept, and I have had him since he was little, so I guess I just grew to love him for who he was, but recently a couple friends commented on how pouty his lower lip was, and I hadn't noticed until they brought it to my attention. I have been looking at other oscars, and it seems like Spooks is a freak of nature. Please ignore the ich (yes that is ich on his eye...), he is finally getting over it, until last night I didn't think he was going to make it, but he is finally feeding again and acting more like himself. After a week and a half of Ich Attack twice a day and his condition deteriorating, I jacked the temp and dumped the salt, and he responded within HOURS and fed for the first time since I noticed he was ill.

Anyway, this post isn't about the ich, it is about the pout-pout fish and his pout-pout lip. Anyone care to comment on that?

20150729_092642.jpg
20150729_092817.jpg

20150729_092816.jpg

20150729_092816.jpg

Last edited:

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
How long has it had it?
His lip? I would guess most of his free swimming life...

Like I said, I never thought anything of it, since he is the only oscar I see... I generally stay away from other people's oscar threads, because I find that most oscar owners think they know more about fish than anyone else. Maybe it has gotten poutier, but I think he just has a big honkin' lip. Unless others have some other idea, I just figured he was a weird dude. Just waiting for some a**hole to ask me what my water parameters are...

Maybe Spooky will get lucky, and a fish he has never seen before will come along in a silent silver shimmer, plant a kiss upon his pout, and then swim away...

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
I don't really have any ideas, I was just asking out of curiosity. You're probably right, it could just be a big lip. Lol
I'm not the most knowledgeable about these types of things, I'm here to learn. If he's healthy, that's all that really matters.

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Only thing I can think of, he broke his jaw fighting another fish prior to you purchasing him.
that or just a natural deformity.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Well, I went back to Instagram for the only picture I took of him as a babe. Apparently I have had him for 45 weeks, thanks Instagram! It is a little hard to see, but I think that his lip looks sliiiiightly pouty, not like it is now, but there seems to be some underbite there. I also found the conversation between me and my dad slightly amusing... This is also before he jumped into his overflow box and lost a chunk of one pelvic fin on the syphon tube... what a dumby, not sure where he thought he was going...
Screenshot 2015-07-30 01.08.29.png

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
its possible (it) happened during fry stage. either way he looks healthy. enjoy him.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
its possible (it) happened during fry stage. either way he looks healthy. enjoy him.
Funny that you say he looks healthy, because he was on the brink of death a week ago, and just started eating again yesterday... he still looks emaciated to me! I certainly do enjoy him, and I am very thankful that he pulled through from this bout with ich, he spent 4-5 days laying on his side on the bottom of the tank... poor little guy, even my wife was worried, and she can hardly tell the difference between him and my angels, lol...

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I saw a baby Texas at the store the other day that had something similar his lower jaw comes up over the upper like a bull dog. I am tempted to get him.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I saw a baby Texas at the store the other day that had something similar his lower jaw comes up over the upper like a bull dog. I am tempted to get him.
The only negative that I have seen thus far is that he is a bit of an extra messy eater... I feed him live invertebrates, and his big ole' lip is always flappin' around and spitting out little bits of insect guts. But, cleaning up after Spooky is about all the food my 4 silver dollars get, so they are thankful for his bulldog mug.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store