The story of how I got to where I am today. Part 1.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Go ahead and grab something to drink, because this is going to be a long one. This is my story about how I got started into aquatics, and how I got to where I am today.

She wanted to buy a couple of plants, but didn't want to spend a lot of money, so we went to Walmart. Neither of us liked going there, but I was bored of staying home, and she didn't want to spend $20-25 on a single plant. She could buy 2-3 at Walmart for that price. While we were there I was attracted to the fish. I simply couldn't manage to stay away from them. I thought the assortment was amazing at the time (I didn't know anything about fish). After looking I finally asked my Mother if she could get me an aquarium, and I was surprised to hear that she agreed. She said we could go take the aquarium that my Grandfather had (just a 10 gallon). With my Father's permission (which I was even more surprised about), I was able to go to his Condo to pick up the aquarium. Once I got there, I asked him about the tank. He said he through it away because it cracked from being outside. My heart dropped. I had gotten my hopes so high to hear him say he didn't have the tank. The next thing I heard surprised me almost as much as hearing my dad say I could have an aquarium. My Grandfather offered to buy me a 20 gallon, Although I'm sure he probably said this after seeing my disappointment.

The week after he said that went by so slow. I couldn't wait to get my first aquarium! After what felt like a month, the weekend finally came. My Grandfather picked me up in his truck to take me to Pet Supermarket. I was staring out the window the entire drive, waiting for him to pull into the parking lot. Once we finally arrived, I bolted out of the truck and rushed my Grandfather into the store. I can't say I went any slower going to the aquarium section. After we left the store with the tank, I sat it on my lap (even though we were in a truck) because I was so excited (don't ask me how I did this; I'm not even sure how I did it myself). When I got back home, he made sure that I brought the tank inside with no problem, and set it on the table without it falling, leaning, etc... Once he left I took the 25lb of earth gravel that we bought while purchasing the tank and washed it thoroughly. My next task was taking it downstairs and pouring it into the aquarium, which I actually did pretty well once I look back. I also had to fill it on my own, with a single gallon jug, since my parents weren't home. I remember being proud of myself after completely filling the tank with that single one gallon jug. My aquarium was downstairs, and the kitchen upstairs. Along with this they're on opposite sides of the house.

The next day my Mom brought home decorations, a filter, and a heater. She also brought water conditioner and Stress Zyme. I also set the up myself, mostly for bragging rights. After that I was able to say that I set up my aquarium on my own. The only thing I didn't do was buy the equipment. My Mom acted like an expert on aquariums since she took Marine Biology and she had a 10 gallon in college (After asking her her stock list, if she took water tests, and how often she did water changes, I could tell she wasn't an expert, although she still believes that to this day). So after she made me believe that she knew so much after having her own tank I listened to her advice: Follow the dosage on the Stress Zyme bottle and wait one day before adding fish. This was my biggest mistake, though I probably wouldn't be where I am without it. My parents went to go eat at a Mexican restaurant, and we left to go to PetSmart after eating. After arriving at PetSmart, I was amazed to see an even larger selection of fish. My grandfather asked if I would get Angelfish, and even though I didn't know what they were, I agreed to get a couple for the tank. I was attracted to the Rainbow and Red Tailed Sharks. They were the very first fished I asked to have bagged up. I'm not sure what order I asked in, but here's what I asked for next: Three Mollies, Three Angels, A Pleco, and an Albino African Clawed Frog. I remember being more excited leaving PetSmart than I was going to it. I couldn't wait to get these fish in their new tank!20150626_155959 (1).jpg 20150626_160030 (1).jpg

Reactions: tlindsey and ECW

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice to hear about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com