The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

lilu

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2014
Montreal
The last time I tried an aquarium specific product meant to dissolve the organic waste the fish ended up gasping at the surface so I did large water changes to remove the product. Currently the O2 is at 78% saturation and I cleaned canister filter and vacuumed the sump and display tank sand. I reintroduced some bacteria (this time I used Dr. Tim's One and Only freshwater) - can I add the Septobac right away or should I wait a week or so for the other bacteria to re-establish a bit more? Ammonia and nitrite are both 0, nitrate is somewhere in the 10-15 range (I can't really tell more specifically from the colour chart). Should I expect the O2 to drop significantly after I add the Septobac (it ranges from 70-80% during the night/day)?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No one can really answer that question without knowing the specifics of your set up. You can always add extra 02 if you feel the need.

lilu

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2014
Montreal
so far so good!! :D I haven't seen any noticeable drop in O2 and neither the fish nor inverts seem to be showing any ill effects. It's still early though, I'll post an update in a couple weeks - hopefully it'll have the same beneficial effects in the filter, sump and tubing as has been mentioned throughout this thread.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
http://www.veterinaryresearch.org/content/44/1/27

Columnaris disease in fish: a review with emphasis on bacterium-host interactions

Abstract
Flavobacterium columnare (F. columnare) is the causative agent of columnaris disease. This bacterium affects both cultured and wild freshwater fish including many susceptible commercially important fish species. F. columnare infections may result in skin lesions, fin erosion and gill necrosis, with a high degree of mortality, leading to severe economic losses. Especially in the last decade, various research groups have performed studies aimed at elucidating the pathogenesis of columnaris disease, leading to significant progress in defining the complex interactions between the organism and its host. Despite these efforts, the pathogenesis of columnaris disease hitherto largely remains unclear, compromising the further development of efficient curative and preventive measures to combat this disease. Besides elaborating on the agent and the disease it causes, this review aims to summarize these pathogenesis data emphasizing the areas meriting further investigation.

Probiotics appear to be a promising way in the prevention of different bacterial diseases in aquaculture [122]. Boutin et al. isolated different strains of commensal bacteria from the skin mucus of unstressed brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) which in vitro revealed antagonistic effects against F. columnare

Yet another good excuse for one to implement probiotic bacteria into their system. This highly virulent bacteria (Flavobacterium columnare aka Flexibacter columnaris aka Duck Lips) comes in various strains, some causing death within 24-48 hrs.

Competitive exclusion at its best.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I finally managed to summon up the courage to try probiotics in a fish tank for the first time, and I was really nervous about it before trying, to be honest.. I have a ton of fish that are worth quite a bit of $$$ added up inside the tank, and I pretty much had my back up against the wall, not sure if I wanted to risk it as anything can go wrong.. but, I jumped deck and went for it, and guess what? Good news, it is going pretty smooth so far. Water is clear, no smell, fish is looking really active and energetic.. I just started two days ago on Feb. 9th '15. Currently no ill effects on the livestock whatsoever. Silver Dollars, Red Hooks, Tinfoil barb, Oscar, Clown loaches, Bala shark, Blood Red Parrots, Severum, Roseline sharks, Rosy barbs, Red-eyed/lamp eye tetra, Sterbai corydoras, parkisoni rainbows, Powder blue jack dempsey rein the tank used with septobac probiotics with no issues.

So yeah, all are fine since Monday and still going strong.

Will update, report later on within a couple weeks.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Alright guys, I'm back. With.... :shakehead

GOOD NEWS.

:D Haha gotcha guys. :j/k: Okay, so a month and four days has gone by. No deaths. I dosed the tanks once every two weeks and after doing water changes. Fish that were in the tanks with probiotics were many species of rainbowfish including: Melanotaenia, Glossolepis incisus species, discus, bala sharks, Indonesian datnoid, tiger oscar, powder blue jack dempsey, blood red parrots, torpedo barbs, rosy barbs, cardinal tetras, hero severum, harlequin rasboras, clown loaches, regular silver dollars, silver dollar red hooks, tinfoil barb, sterbai corydoras, and ottocinclus catfish. All of them are still fine and doing awesome.

I'm convinced. :) Overall, things are looking excellent, fantastic. All fish are exhibiting very happy behavior, healthy, eating well, growing nicely, and all is well with water quality.

Big thanks, RD.

**Edit**

Oh yeah, I even dosed the invertebrate tanks that have dwarf shrimps (neocaridina species, also caridina Royal Blue tiger Shrimp) and snails (ramshorn, pond, malaysian trumpet, rabbit snails, assassin snails, and mystery apple snails), no problems whatsoever.

Give it a shot guys, it's all working out well for me.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

Thanks for the info in this thread, i got myself some RID-X, and i followed the dose rate aquanero stated, at 1 tablespoon per 90g, so in my case that is 1 tablespoon per 300l.

I mixed the RID-X in a 5l bucket of water, then added it to the tank, it has been in for about 3-4 hours now and my tank still looks like a snow globe...is this normal?

My fish seem happy enough, in just wondering when the cloudyness is going to subside?

thanks in advance

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well after stumbling on this thread I said "hey...its been a while since I put my fish through the ringer with an experiment that may or may not kill them...lets do it!"...j/k but I did go out and buy RID-X and dosed 2 tanks so far with it....

both tanks are NA natives: sunfish, bass, darters, dace and minnows. I figured I'll try this on the semi-easily replaceable fish I can catch out back first....then if all goes according to plan...move this to my African/Asian theme tank with the polys and loaches.

I'll update in a few weeks with either distressing or great results.

P.S. I went with Aquanero's approach of placing the product in a mesh bag and floating it in the filters of the tanks. I gave the bag a good shake every half hour or so for a total of 3 hours. The water was cloudy but began to clear up relatively quickly. I did small water changes in the tanks just to be on the safe side in case the O2 levels had dropped at all. Fingers crossed ladies and gents.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Wow cant believe i just saw this thread...im gonna try this.

Question though will it reduce algea to th point of it being non existent? Have a pleco that actually does eat algae.

Read the whole thread not sure if i missed this but has anyone noticed a reduction in nitrates between wc's?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store